Osage Orange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dai Sensei

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have just returned from 3.5 weeks holiday camping, fishing, scuba diving and my favourite, collecting timber. I managed to score 5 logs (4-6' long and 8-18" dia) of Osage Orange from a friend from an Ausi forum swapping for some of my Blackwood and Mango. It is probably more common over in the US, but here OO logs are few and far between. So even though I had to cart them back 1500kms, it was worth it. I also scored a heap of other timbers on my trip.

The OO logs had been cut down for around six years and the cracks unfortunately extended from one end to the other in at least quarters, but there is still a lot of good timber in them. I started by slicing the logs down the middle trying to follow the primary cracks where possible. I then sliced each half into 2" thick freehand by following a marked line as the drift on the bandsaw was greater than the fence's adjastment. Again I started at the major cracks and worked my way out. There were also a lot of hollows in the log, but hopefully there is enough for what I want.

I'm going to use the timber to make a rocking chair similar to the one pictured that I have the plans for. It is currently at 17% moisture, so I have stickered and stacked the planks in the dark corner of my garden shed for a month or two of settling and further drying, before final trimming to size on the tablesaw/thicknesser. Unfortunately I could not get the widths I need for the wider stock necessary for some parts, but I will use smaller laminated pieces.

Left-overs will end up as pepper grinder, trinket boxes and pen blanks, so nothing will go to waste. I even cleaned the dusty out before starting so I could save the sawdust for inlay work, just need to keep the daylight away to keep the colour.

Cheers

Last edited:
osage

we commonly call this wood bodark in the southern U.S.-native americans prized this wood for recurved bows.I like to handle various tools with this material-i.e. ,chisels,hammers,axes,etc.....

It is more rigid than the popular hickory,but it weathers extremely well.

I did some trimming on some once. Pretty nasty to climb but very nice wood. I guess you can take the oranges and crush them and plant to make a hedge that prisons could use to keep people out or people in. Nice pic's Neil. Nice to see people using wood to make things just not burning it!

Ao all the wood we have available to us here on the NE coast US, osgae orange is still my favorite wood to work in the shop. It's hard to find large strait osage trees around here, but I did score several logs from a big one a while back, some of the logs are 18 in dia. Rough estimate is about 800 bd ft of osage if I ever get it all sliced up. Much of it is still sitting in my driveway. The stuff is a dream to work in the shop. It's very hard yet it machines nice, you can drill and tap it almost like aluminum. The bright yellow doesn't last long. In direct Sun it turns to a nice light brown somewhat reddish tan in less than a month. I havn't done much, but I heard its great on the lathe. The most recent thing I've done with it is make a small washboard instrument that they use in zydeco music bands. Here is a pic, it's quite loud.

zydecon1.jpg

zydeco.jpg

Latest posts

Back