Ouch!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Drawback to having a splitter at a good working height. I just raised mine up last winter and today it happened.

Splitting on the locust pile, steadying the round until the split was started. Just started to 'bite' when the back end slipped off the push plate. Yep, played backstop with the jewels. Dunno what my comment at the time was - probably not very much right off as I was too busy trying to suck air.

For some reason I didnt' get much done after that.

Harry K

Harry, I'd burn that piece with extreme prejudice.

And nobody believes trees fight back.

A hit like that will make you stop and catch your breath. You cant do much else, you don't dare move.

Gives new meaning to "....hit you so hard your kids will shake."

I took one in the side of my knee once, thought I'd never walk right again - Hard rock maple, when it's dried some, will just explode off the wedge, no stringy fibers at all. Is your voice back to normal Harry, or still a little high pitched? :censored:

I took a piece of hedge in the right kidney a few weeks ago from my splitter. Thats what I get for busting big ole crotches apart for the fun and heat of it. Damn hedge crotch nailed me close to my crotch!:taped:

A few times I jammed my thumb when splitter slowed down on a tough piece and pressure built until it suddenly burst through and the piece jumped. Now when it goes into second stage it's hands-off.

Hand splitting it's always my shins that get nailed. Instead of buying some cheap plastic soccer shin guards, I bought a $1500 splitter.:dizzy: Maybe I should buy a cup?

I took one in the side of my knee once, thought I'd never walk right again - Hard rock maple, when it's dried some, will just explode off the wedge, no stringy fibers at all. Is your voice back to normal Harry, or still a little high pitched? :censored:

Yep it "pops' with authority! :cheers:

I don't even need to be running equipment to scar myself.I was bringing in a armload of wood yesterday and one of the pieces of Red Oak still had a 3" stub of a branch that happened to rake right across my nose.Had to be bandaged up, but only AFTER that piece went in the stove.

Drawback to having a splitter at a good working height. I just raised mine up last winter and today it happened.

Splitting on the locust pile, steadying the round until the split was started. Just started to 'bite' when the back end slipped off the push plate. Yep, played backstop with the jewels. Dunno what my comment at the time was - probably not very much right off as I was too busy trying to suck air.

For some reason I didnt' get much done after that.

Harry K

May be a better working height would be a little higher than that.:)

Gonna scare me Harry and make me get out my old cup and jock from my days of playing baseball.
Hope that voice gets back to normal!

Ive never been hit hard like that but Ive seen my BIL get hit in the doodads with a flat shovel. A bunch of us were jackassin around. Hes one tough guy but that put him down for a while, If I remember right he threw up too. Ouch Hope your felling better.:cry:

Boy, I can empathaize with you. I've taken shots to the boys, the knees, the thigh, and the feet. It's amazing how much energy a piece of firewood can store..and then release onto the unsuspecting splitter operator.

Last year I got my then 11 year old son to come out and "run the splitter" for us one afternoon. He survived the big piece mashing his foot but when he took the shot to the crotch that was it...I haven't been able to get him to run that splitter since.

I used the welder to put some goobers on my TW6 pushplate for extra grab to avoid that; it grabs so well you have to make sure the round is lined up straight or it will slice it like a Chomper:popcorn:

Let's observe a moment of silence for Harry's boys...

I was splitting a piece of pine with BIG knots in it - real energy hogs. I was splitting vertically and the splitter was bogging down as the smaller piece was really starting to lean to the right...

I was expecting that part to go flying when it popped and the larger piece to stay put...the piece that my left hand was resting on, pretty much relaxed...

RONG!!!

When it popped it went straight to the left, taking my relaxed arm & hand the same direction. OUCH!! My elbow was NOT expecting that.

Man, that hurt for several minutes just because I was relaxed and wasn't anticipating that piece moving at all! Now when they start to suck up energy like that it's hands off.

A few times I jammed my thumb when splitter slowed down on a tough piece and pressure built until it suddenly burst through and the piece jumped. Now when it goes into second stage it's hands-off.

Hand splitting it's always my shins that get nailed. Instead of buying some cheap plastic soccer shin guards, I bought a $1500 splitter.:dizzy: Maybe I should buy a cup?

Shin guards by all means. I haven't found any except those for kids yet but I'm still looking.

Cup? Odd, that was the first thing I considered when I was able to think again :).

Was back at it again today but a bit 'gun shy'.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back