Outdoor wood burner underground pipes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endmill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need help! Getting ready to install a Hardy. Need some ideas of insulation type/ type of pipe to run everything in, depth ect. Thanks Dave

I would use kitec line for the piping and make sure you put it below the frost line for your area. I can't remember what kind of insulation<name?> but it has a foil backing on one side. I buried it in a 6" pvc pipe in the ground below the frost line and it all seems to work very well. I have also seen insulated pvc pipe that you may be able to use. :givebeer:

Need help! Getting ready to install a Hardy. Need some ideas of insulation type/ type of pipe to run everything in, depth ect. Thanks Dave

Welcome to AS Dave... (from a fellow Hardy Stove owner) You might want to some research but most people are using 1" PEX tubing, they make different types but I used 3/4" PEX bought at Lowes with Sharkbite fittings. I used the cheaper polyethylene foam insulation in 6' sticks, and then slide them into a 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe, buried at 44" - 48".

There are many ways you can do this, depending on your budget and if it is a "self-install". Use the 'Search' pulldown on 'PEX pipe' or 'insulation', there are even some recent post on the topic of insulation. Some insulated pipe can be $15.00 a foot, PEX with insulated material around it ready to install, like Logstor and Urecon (I think you add your PEX). Your distance, whether you are running two pumps, what you are heating, etc. will all throw in factors of what you should do... Every install is different and some installers insist you do it their way or no way.. Also many say this is as important to what Stove you pick, don't cheap out now, it will cost you pain and more wood down the road.

As far as your depth, do some research on your local area and determine what depth your frost line is, then go a few feet deeper. We have a Backhoe in the family, so took the time to go fairly deep on my install, you want to get close to the natural 50 - 60 degree ground temp.

Here are some pics of my install.

My OWB project
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=826913#post826913

Installing water to air exchanger
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60148

Last edited:
cpvc pipe

what is the reason they say not to use cpvc pipe? I was on a very tight budget when I installed my hardy and I installed 3/4 cpvc pipe that was 9 yrs ago and no problem yet! I have 4 neighbors that have done the same install some are 12 yrs old and still no problems!

Welcome to AS Dave... (from a fellow Hardy Stove owner) You might want to some research but most people are using 1" PEX tubing, they make different types but I used 3/4" PEX bought at Lowes with Sharkbite fittings. I used the cheaper polyethylene foam insulation in 6' sticks, and then slide them into a 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe, buried at 44" - 48".

There are many ways you can do this, depending on your budget and if it is a "self-install". Use the 'Search' pulldown on 'PEX pipe' or 'insulation', there are even some recent post on the topic of insulation. Some insulated pipe can be $15.00 a foot, PEX with insulated material around it ready to install, like Logstor and Urecon (I think you add your PEX). Your distance, whether you are running two pumps, what you are heating, etc. will all throw in factors of what you should do... Every install is different and some installers insist you do it their way or no way.. Also many say this is as important to what Stove you pick, don't cheap out now, it will cost you pain and more wood down the road.

As far as your depth, do some research on your local area and determine what depth your frost line is, then go a few feet deeper. We have a Backhoe in the family, so took the time to go fairly deep on my install, you want to get close to the natural 50 - 60 degree ground temp.

Here are some pics of my install.

My OWB project
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=826913#post826913

Installing water to air exchanger
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60148

Here in MN the frost can go six feet or more into the ground. Kind of hard to dig below that. Central Boiler suggests that you bury your line no more than 20", as deeper lines have had problems with water contact. I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but this is the information I have been given. :cheers:

Ours is buried 24" deep, no problems............... Since the ground is heavy clay, the dealer did have me cover the pipe with pea stone before backfilling to provide a cushion around it.

Pipe is 1" Kitec ran inside 4" s&d pvc that has a 2" thick styrofoam sleeve around it.

Ed

Latest posts

Back