OWB and radiant floor heat in basement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave977

Reaction score
For those who have OWB, how do you heat your house, and do you like that option. I live in Wisconsin and will be building a house with an OWB. My heat option was going to be forced air on the main floor (due to wanting central air also) and radiant floor heat in the concrete in the basement slab (underground basement). I talked to someone today that sells the radiant floor system and he thinks it is a waste of money. I figured if he sells it along with OWB and other things, he may have a good point.

If you are planning on finishing any of the basement and using it for living space, I think you would be crazy not to put in the radiant heat, espicially if you are planning on a outdoor wood burner. I have had my radiant running off of a water heater for 5 years. I just unhooked it last week to start the install of my OWB. I quickly realized how nice it was to have that radiant heat. It really isn't going to cost you much to set it up either since you will have the OWB.

I heat a 4300 sf timberframe house with radiant heat in the basement slab. Right now it's the ONLY heat in the house because the rest of the main floor is supposed to be staple-up tubing and I haven't hooked it up yet. Granted, my house isn't super warm, but the basement stays about 72 degrees and the upstairs is pretty consistently 65 degrees. I will hook the rest of the tubing up over the winter and see what difference it makes.

I would never build a house without it.

I have radiant heat in my basement and baseboard in the up stairs (ranch). The house was built in 67' and they used copper lines in the concrete (I know, I cut one putting in a sub-pump). I LOVE IT !!!:cheers:
When I get out of bed in the morn. and the tile and throne seat in the bath room is 70 deg you'll never regret it. This is all heated with a OWB, a couple of chunks in the morning and evening and all is well.:clap: :clap:

LT...

eric, did you line the floor with rigid foam or it looks like only 8' from ext. wall, what did you do around the perimeter, rigid foam down 4', i'm planning a building similar to yours and could use your input, what worked best, what didn't, what would you change etc.

Latest posts

Back