OWB install....1" pex everywhere?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My OWB will do my shop and house...shop is easy, two forced air heat exchangers with 1" pex to them...then second output from the CB will go underground in 1" lines in the Thermopex to the house...then a Taco zoning pump so I'm at 1" lines up to the Taco...then onto baseboard radiant heat...those have 3/4" inputs/outputs....do I stay with 3/4" pex between all the baseboards or is there a reason to adapt every one of them to say with 1" lines between them? I know 1" will carry more btu's but I figure if they wanted 1" lines into the baseboards they would have put 1" ends on them right? :)

My OWB will do my shop and house...shop is easy, two forced air heat exchangers with 1" pex to them...then second output from the CB will go underground in 1" lines in the Thermopex to the house...then a Taco zoning pump so I'm at 1" lines up to the Taco...then onto baseboard radiant heat...those have 3/4" inputs/outputs....do I stay with 3/4" pex between all the baseboards or is there a reason to adapt every one of them to say with 1" lines between them? I know 1" will carry more btu's but I figure if they wanted 1" lines into the baseboards they would have put 1" ends on them right? :)

I am not a plumber, engineer, or rocket scientist, but when I installed my PEX, I had the same thoughts as you and acted accordingly. Short run to a single exchanger all in 3/4. Seems to work just fine. It is a bit odd that all the fittings from the pumps, boiler, exchanger, etc are 3/4", and then they call for 1" PEX, but I'm sure there is a valid reason for it.

Back