Owb tied into existing heat and Ac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arborworks1

arborworks1

ArboristSite Operative
How do you keep the Fan from running full time on your existing heat system. I don't have a OwB, Just researching right now. I would like to have it all auto just like my existing heat system.

WVwoodsman

WVwoodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
To answer your question, I have gas forced air as my backup and my OWB is my primary. The thermostat for the gfa is set to auto and the temp is set about 10 degrees lower than the t-stat (set to auto) for the owb (2 separate t-stats).

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wire a second thermostat just to control the fan through the fan relay on the furnace. Basically it does the same thing as turning the "fan on" switch on your wall T-stat, but it is controlled by a heating thermostat. You can use a setback stat if you want, but I would just keep it simple with a mechanical stat. Set the anticipator for whatever cycle time you like, but having too short of fan cycles will run up your electric bill.

trialanderror

trialanderror

ArboristSite Operative
Wire a second thermostat just to control the fan through the fan relay on the furnace. Basically it does the same thing as turning the "fan on" switch on your wall T-stat, but it is controlled by a heating thermostat. You can use a setback stat if you want, but I would just keep it simple with a mechanical stat. Set the anticipator for whatever cycle time you like, but having too short of fan cycles will run up your electric bill.

yup. the 2nd stat will call for fan, instead of heat. well, it calls for heat, but, just needs to move air instead of fire up burners....

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some 'stats have two incoming power wires, labeled Rh and Rc, which is common on an oil furnace with A/C because a oil primary control has a built in transformer. In this case, power to run the fan relay (which is usually part of a fan center for cooling controls) has to come from the Rc terminal to power the G terminal, even though its for heating you'll use power meant for cooling controls. This isn't too common though, an oil furnace with air conditioning is kind of a complicated rats nest, although not as bad as a heat pump.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
That what I have and electric heat pump.

In that case you should be able just to run power from R to power G through a heating 'stat. If the normal 'stat calls for heat or emergency heat it should work just fine if the fan is already running, it just might blow some cold air if your OWB isn't fired up, unless you have some kind of OWB water temp interlock that you can bypass in the summer, but now I am getting overcomplicated.

slinger

slinger

ArboristSite Guru
I wired my OWB is wired into the emergency heat side of my electric heat pump. I put a manual disconnect on my furnace as I don't want the electric to kick on. If I am going away I can switch the T-stat to "normal", throw the disconnect and let the OWB go out or simmer for a few days.

So far (2yrs) I haven't fired the "pump" up.

Took my heating contractor awhile to figure this out.

His quote " This is like hooking a tractor to a laptop".

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wired my OWB is wired into the emergency heat side of my electric heat pump. I put a manual disconnect on my furnace as I don't want the electric to kick on. If I am going away I can switch the T-stat to "normal", throw the disconnect and let the OWB go out or simmer for a few days.

So far (2yrs) I haven't fired the "pump" up.

Took my heating contractor awhile to figure this out.

His quote " This is like hooking a tractor to a laptop".

Must be one of them newfangled heat pumps with a motherboard to control everything. In a way better than the older relay/rats nest style, more simplified but better invest in some good surge protection!

slinger

slinger

ArboristSite Guru
Yep, 18 SEER Carrier. Had to use the older style T-stat and mother board to "trick'" the stove to start the fan.

The newer board wouldn't let the fan start.

Contractor asked me "Why do you want a OWB, isn't your time worth anything"?

Me Well UHH -- It's not for everyone!

BTW - He sold me the Hardy stove too!

Long story -- He's also a friend... kinda

Latest posts