Pacific Energy Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newmanab

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at the possibility of Putting in a Summit Insert made by pacific energy. Any feed back (pros and cons)?

2000 sq2 House

Looking for supplemental heat. House has electric forced air heat pump with resistant back up.

i would like to lower electric bill and also have a reason to cut wood!!!:):cheers:

Is there anyway to plumb the insert into the forced air furnace?:blob5:

Thank You

I have the Pacific model , and love it , wish i had the room for the Summit

3-12-2006035.jpg

I love my Pacific Energy. I forgot the model type, it has a big fire box. It rocks, throws off a lot of heat once it gets going and is pretty efficent wood useage wise. I have the fan that is controlled by a theromstat inside the fireplace that kicks on when the insert reaches a certain temp, it can also just be turned on manuelly whenever you want it on.

It should do a pretty good job of heating most of a 2000sf house. It will probably be hard to he the heat all the way to other end of the house. As for hooking it up to the air furnace I don't know.

New, here's a pic of mine. The Summit wouldn't fit in my fireplace--too big--I had to settle for the next model down. Those suckers are heavy and good quality. The beast you are considering weights about 450lbs. I don't know about plumbing, so can't comment. Just about all the parts have a lifetime warranty. I've cut my oil comsumption by half in a 2,100 ft house. Just had oil delivered last week, took 248 gallons and that includes using oil-fired hot water heater. First delivery since last April. My stove is rated to do 2,000ft; yours is rated for 3,000ft. Just be careful you aren't buying a stove too big for your area to heat. Some claim it will under burn; I don't know. Better experts here than me to answer that.

I have a summit insert and use it to heat a little under 2000 sq ft. My house is a two level ranch and the summit is on the lower level. It works quite well to heat the whole place. The farthest room which is on 2nd level, and opposite end of house from the stairwell was about 60 deg when we had a -10 few days. Most of the time that room is 65ish. The room the summit is in stays in the 76 range and the main upstairs is 70-72. I have a ceiling fan in the stairwell that made a nice improvement in spreading the heat. Next step will be to cut an air return at the other end of the house. That should also make a nice difference.

I think the summit is ok for 2000 ft. It's on the border line of too big though. Depending on your floor plan and temps you want, it might be. Our wood this year is not as dry as I would like, so I can't get as complete a burn as I would like. Even with that, I have only had to relight the fire a couple times this winter. The overnights leave plenty of coals to relight. I'm very pleased with the summit.

Back