"Peanut Saw" - Earthquake 3816/4216 or Poulan 3314?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJchester

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need (sort of) an inexpensive, little, lightweight saw for all the usual reasons, mostly because I spend too much time reading here. Originally thinking 38-45 cc and 14" or 16" B&C but of course everything new comes with more bar length than necessary.

So after reading a bunch of stuff on the poulan pro 4218 & 5020 and the Fabulous Earthquakes (which are no longer $35, dang it) I'm more conflicted about this purchase than ever.

I'd certainly consider a better used saw if I could bump into one but just haven't yet. And I'm going to just order something tonight, so my question is which of the 2 saws in the title gets the vote. Price of each on feebay is slightly in favor of the Poulan (free shipping). Both are manufacturer refurbed or 'demo' in the case of one of the Earthquakes.

Thanks for your input. -WSJ

The Poulan is a strato engine and clearly parts are more readily available. But it has no A/V and weighs more.

If you get a good Earthquake and do some basic mods to it (at least a muffler mod), it will be a much nicer saw to use even given the lack of strato.

I have several earlier versions of the Poulan both with and without A/V but all with larger 42cc engines. They are nice saws and I use them regularly but I like A/V and think a 33cc saw should be lighter. Then again a lot of Poulans are 42cc regardless of what they're advertised to be.

The last factor is where they are made, but if you are buying used it doesn't much matter.

If you can hold off for a couple days I might be able to help you out. My wife of 40+ years is getting a hip replaced and I am about to become unemployed, I am very confused at the moment. I do have 6 earthquakes that I don't need to make any money on but I dont't have time to mess with them, I spent about 20K in health care last year so a $35 quake one way or another isn't a big deal. God I love our system.......
Man, that's lousy. I hope your wife recovers quickly and things turn around for you.

If you can hold off for a couple days I might be able to help you out. My wife of 40+ years is getting a hip replaced and I am about to become unemployed, I am very confused at the moment. I do have 6 earthquakes that I don't need to make any money on but I dont't have time to mess with them, I spent about 20K in health care last year so a $35 quake one way or another isn't a big deal. God I love our system.......

I'm sorry, that pretty much sucks. And puts my recreational chainsaw shopping in perspective.

And of course if you want to part with one once things level off for you, I'll be happy to relieve you of it, plus shipping to me. Just let me know. Hang in there, and wish your wife well with her surgery. -Scott

Last edited:
oops...will do...:msp_mellow: I thought I sent you one yesterday but it seems I didn't. I typed it and I thought I pushed the send button, I think I am loosing it.....:msp_confused::msp_confused:

HMMM; maybe :msp_ohmy:

Latest posts

Back