Pennsylvanian 23yo trying to get into Arborism

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeManCam

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to the site so don't much know the etiquette to these posts, but, long story short I'm a healthy 23.5 year old who's been into trees and the outdoors all my life. I first heard the word Arborism in 2021 and have been seriously contemplating getting into the trade ever since. Right now I live in the mountains of central PA but have been aspire to relocate to a city for a long while, and hope for Philly but am open to others too if anyone in an urban area is in need of a new ambitious, reliable member.

I take promptness and safety very seriously, and am experienced with basic chainsaw handling from firewood collecting with my family through the years. Got a bunch of Arborism, Arboriculture and Horticulture books saved to my Amazon list that I aspire to buy, and want to become as skilled as I can at tree care. Do greatly in all 4 seasons. If in need of marketing on top of a new Apprentice, I'm certified in Multimedia/Web Design, am pursuing an online certificate in Photography with the New York Institute of Photography, have my own professional gear, and am competent at social media mgmt - as a supplemental bonus to being in the field.

Look forward to discussing with anyone in need. Thank you.

- Cameron

I'm retired so no longer looking for help. Back in the 70's I was the son, of the owner, of a fourth generation family owned company. Part of my job was safety training of new ground guys. No matter how safe you think you are, tree work is a whole "nother" world. You have to learn to look up for falling objects, and down at the same time for tripping objects. You never stand under the canopy of a tree when a climber is in it. If you have to untie ropes and move brush, you get in and out with a sense of urgency. Just because the climbers saw isn't running, doesn't mean you can wander around under him. Climbers are human, and they drop stuff, like chainsaws. A chainsaw in the head from 90' means you are dead. Most accidents in tree work, are pretty consistent with any other dangerous job. They happen to the new guy that doesn't know any better, or the old guy that got complement. You are firmly in the first group. Remember, it doesn't have to be you that messes up that gets you killed. Other people and dangerous equipment are pretty good at doing that. Good luck, and play safe!

Just went back and confirmed you are in PA. A friend in Southern MD may be hiring. He's a good guy, has some nice equipment. A 70' Terex all wheel drive bucket, Dingo for dragging brush. Big Brush Bandit chipper, Skid steer with a Forestry Mulcher. If you want I can get his number?

You may want to try and apply with one of the bigger companies. Bartlett, Davey, Savatree.
They are always looking for people who will show up and put in an honest days work. Those people are few and far between these days.
You will learn the basics, and after you have developed a skill set you can strike out on your own or work for a smaller company that will appreciate you.

Back