Picked up an Echo CS-370 (first chainsaw ever) Time to mod, and say Hello!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewShockerGuy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I gotta say hello and this is my first post on here... been lurking for a while reading lots of info... I'm amazed at how much info is here... reminds me of my garage forum!

I just picked up my first chainsaw, an Echo cs-370. We just had a patio built and had a fire pit installed made. Call me cheap but I refuse to pay for firewood...lol

So in my thought process I already on an axe, I figured I'd start chopping all the dead trees in the woods behind our house. That got old after about 10 minutes. I did pick up a Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch model and I'm quite impressed with it's splitting ability for it's low cost. I go the Echo because I have all other Echo 2-strokes and I really enjoy them.

So reading here I know this isn't a big saw, at least not compared to ones I've see people use for work or a living here, I'm just a home owner that wants to cut fallen trees in the woods into 20" logs, then manually split them. I think this saw will do quite well with that. First thing I started reading here is people modding their saw. No problem, that actually seems really cool. It's very hard for me to leave ANYTHING I touch in its stock form.

I have read that I should drill out the CAT from the muffler. Surprisingly that was actually not a long process at all. See picture: I still have to clean it up on the inside and grind more of it away, but the BULK of it is gone.
muffler1.jpg

The next part I read is I am supposed to enlarge these holes? Those three holes on the right, beside where bolts go through to attach it to the chainsaw.
muffler2.jpg

How much should those be enlarged? Should I make those 3 holes into 1 hole? Or is that too much.

The next part is the spark arrestor plate. I didn't nab a picture of that but from what I read that too should be enlarged. Some say keep the spark arrestor screen in, others say remove it. I will not be working in an area that is super dry but I also wouldn't want wood chips and crap to get sucked into the piston by accident.... Any thoughts.

Lastly is adjusting the Carb. I haven't found specific pictures on how to do this only by what I've read. I'm hoping someone has pictures of exactly what to remove/grind off. Then I would adjust the jets on the carb and then test cut, and continue until it's at it's peak.

Does all this sound about right yet? Again, I'm not looking to go crazy, just freeing up some power is always good, and letting it breathe better.

Long winded right.......!

I will add as well I'm a lefty, and before I was reading all the threads last night I am going to have to learn to use the saw right handed... the past couple times I've been using it with my left hand and though I can understand the danger, the way I have the wood braced up at mid level and only cutting from the back of the blade I don't see how kick back can occur, BUT, I'd rather NOT get a saw to the face, so I will be re-learning in a way how to use it with my right hand ;-p It's quite awkward holding it with my right hand but it is what it is in a way.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the forum so far!

-Nigel

Welcome to AS. Looks like you are off to a good start. I would make sure the carb is richened up before cutting with the saw. A muffler mod will make it breath better and it will need a little more fuel. There is a lot of great resources on here for questions. I am a lefty to and you will get used to running the saw the (right) way. It is good to get a set of chaps and helmet with faceshield and ear muffs. You do not think you will need them untill it is to late. I never wore chaps untill a close friend got 1oo+ stitches due to chain saw chain to the leg.

Welcome! You'll need to remove the small limiter tabs on the carb adjustment screws if you're going to run it without the cat muffler. Just take a drywall screw and turn it into the red plastic cap. Line up the tabs with the slots on the carb and pull them straight out. A sharp knife will trim the tabs easily. Pop the caps back on and tune your saw's carburetor. There are lots of great videos around to show how it is done.

I ran two tanks through my CS-370 last weekend, it is a great small saw. Just learn how to keep the sharpest chain possible and like KYsawman said, wear your protective gear.

cut the rest of the cat out,,,,, then cut the exit behind the deflector as far as possible just as long as the deflector still covers it,,,, take a 3/8 drill bit and go straight through behind the deflector in towards where the cat was,,, i don have the pics of the many i have done but here is a vid of a 400 that i did earlier this year and a 310

cut the rest of the cat out,,,,, then cut the exit behind the deflector as far as possible just as long as the deflector still covers it,,,, take a 3/8 drill bit and go straight through behind the deflector in towards where the cat was,,, i don have the pics of the many i have done but here is a vid of a 400 that i did earlier this year and a 310

Thanks for the videos! What a difference!

Asking for clarity:

You are saying I should then remove the ring left by the cat? Or by hollowing out the cat is good enough? I don't think I have a hole saw to perfectly match what is left of the cat.. I will have to look and see what size fits, I think a 1" was too big.

On the front of the muffler there are three holes. You are saying I should expand all those into one big hole that is still covered by the plate right? Highlighted with red rectangle. Then I make a NEW hole (highlighted in green) that would go through the plate, plus muffler? Or just the arrestor screen plate?

Again, I just want to make sure I fully understand before going further and or messing up the new chainsaw...lol

Thanks for all the info so far!!

-Nigel

Attachments

• muffler2edited.jpg
    muffler2edited.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 39
Welp, I made a stop off to the hardware store I bought the saw from... I hadn't notice but the 370 I got has a damn black plastic handle... The one I saw on display had a metal handle.

I took the saw back to the hardware dude and asked the guy if I could take the handle off the floor model and swap it. He was really cool and said sure.

So we swapped them... While I was at it I asked to see if we could look at the muffler... also cool with it he grabbed a wrench and took it off. Seems like Echo might be listening here...lol Notice the front port opened up instead of the 3 holes. The unit still has a cat in it, but thought that was pretty cool that it's one big opening now.

Today I get to tune the saw and tweak it a little bit! w00t w00t

-Nigel

Attachments

• muffler1.jpg
    muffler1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 41
  • muffler2.jpg
    muffler2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 35
Arg what a PITA... went to start the saw yesterday and I spent the better half of 45 minutes trying to start it. Tried EVERYTHING. Would not crank over.

Tried adjusting the screws at the end and nothing. Very annoyed at this. I was getting spark, and could physically smell the fuel. Thought perhaps the engine was flooded. Took off the muffler, let it dry for a few hours, put it back, even went to the store and bought a can of the pre-mixed straight fuel... still nothing.

Started reading some reviews and saw quite a few people had starting issues or it took forever for it to crank over...

Ended up ordering another one, and it should be here Thursday. In a case like this when it just doesn't crank what is the deal? I don't expect this to happen on a brand new saw but I guess anything is possible?

-Nigel

Did it run before you "fixed" it?

The store is allowing you to swap to a new one after the mods?

It could just be flooded. Some saws do that quite easily.

Does the piston look perfect through the exhaust?

If you have compression, fuel and spark (at the correct time), the saw should start.

Make sure you didn't disconnect or damage the vacuum lie to the cab as well and make sure there's gas in the saw (been there and done that).

Do you know the factory setting for the carb needles? Set them at factory. When it runs, richen the H on the quicker side. It's not gonna ruin the piston from a few seconds of lean run.

It ran one time before I "fixed it" but it took about 30 minutes to get it going. IE: Got the saw, and that was the only time I started it up, I didn't even cut anything yet with it. I thought I was just doing something wrong in the starting procedure even though I was doing everything as per the directions. So I checked everything, spark piston..etc. All looked good, No flooding, no lines, no scorching, nothing disconnected.

When I finally got it going I was happy but thought it was odd it probably took 200-300 pull strings. Figured it just was restricted... so opening it up was going to make it start right up.

Nope not the case.

New saw arrived today. Followed the directions to a T just like the first saw, starts up on the 3rd pull. I definitely think it was the saw or something wrong with the first one. I've read too many reviews of impossibly hard starts. I think this one should be good. I'm going to let it cool off, then start it back up in a couple hours. If it starts up no problem cold again, then I will mod again! :) As long as it doesn't rain this weekend I will be able to adjust and cut for optimum performance!

Thanks,
-Nigel

Back