Pics of Log Splitter Upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren_nh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I asked in the fall for recommendation when upgrading my Northern 20 Ton splitter as there was a Honda GX240 available very reasonably on CL. A few said go for it others said to change the cylinder. I went for it. Here are the specs:

Goal was reduced cycle time and a quieter engine.

Upgraded 5hp Tecumseh to 8hp Honda GX240 with electric start

Upgraded 11GPM pump to 16 GPM pump

Result: cycle time reduced from 14 sec (stated) to 10 seconds

One difficulty was that the shaft on the Honda engine was 25mm, not 1" as on the "standard" GX240. Needless to say, I have a few extra Lovejoy couplings laying around now. I had a friend with a Bridgeport mill some key stock into a stepped key for the solution as the key on the shaft was 7mm and the keyway on the coupling was 8mm.

You will see in the photos that I had to make a bracket for the key as it was a snowblower engine. Please excuse the mess in the barn.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice

I asked in the fall for recommendation when upgrading my Northern 20 Ton splitter as there was a Honda GX240 available very reasonably on CL. A few said go for it others said to change the cylinder. I went for it. Here are the specs:

Goal was reduced cycle time and a quieter engine.

Upgraded 5hp Tecumseh to 8hp Honda GX240 with electric start

Upgraded 11GPM pump to 16 GPM pump

Result: cycle time reduced from 14 sec (stated) to 10 seconds

One difficulty was that the shaft on the Honda engine was 25mm, not 1" as on the "standard" GX240. Needless to say, I have a few extra Lovejoy couplings laying around now. I had a friend with a Bridgeport mill some key stock into a stepped key for the solution as the key on the shaft was 7mm and the keyway on the coupling was 8mm.

You will see in the photos that I had to make a bracket for the key as it was a snowblower engine. Please excuse the mess in the barn.

Nice work daren, I think you will enjoy the honda, and the bigger pump, Eric

Nice. Does it have a proper air filter? My snowblower does not. It has a Tecumsah sno-king engine not a Honda but I do not know if it is prevalent to not put air filters on snowblowers. There really isn't any dust when you are operating a snow blower, that and the propensity of snow to pack a pleated filter solid is probably the reason mine does not have one.

If it doesn't you might want to consider getting one for the life of the engine.

Don

Thanks for the input. That was my first concern about using a snowblower engine.

Yes, it now has an air filter. Honda's website has the service manuals for download so I was able to find the part number. Nobody had it in stock as it is an unusual filter for the GX240, but I was able to order two. They are oil inpreganted foam filters that fit above the baffle.

The shift knob is off a 1970's volvo. My father had it in his basement. The original could only take so many hits with split wood before it shattered. I sent to him to use with no knob and it came back with that. It is more ergonmic than the original.

I can't take credit for the full grip starter handle either as that is what comes on honda snowblowers I guess. I do like it though.

Thank you for the compliments.

best upgrades

The full grip pull is da nutz...best thing I did when upgrading mine as well. Almost as good as getting an electric start HAHAHAHA!!!

I have yet to use the electric start, but I think it will come in handy on those cold "I don't want to start" days. Now I have a use for the outlet I put outside the barn a few years ago. :clap:

Back