Pioneer 650 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm not small engine guy. I've tinkered with a few over the years but the 346xp I did last week was my first full-on rebuild. That's why I chickened out on modding it. The Pioneer just sits now, so if I mess it up, I'll just part it out (now that I've found people who might actually by 50 year old chainsaw stuff!). I'd show it off every chance I got if it roared like it should though!:chainsaw:
Any reason I shouldn't hog out the exhaust port? I figured I'd raise the port maybe 1mm in the middle and curve it down to stock height on either side. The intake is a slot which I could round the corners off a little. The transfer ports are really crude looking. I don't know what good ones are supposed to look like (except for the ones on my 346xp saws. They're purty!) but I know what bad ones look like. I don't want the engine to rev too high. Maybe 7000rpm tops. I'm going to start grinding on it tonight so either talk me out of it or tell me what not to do! (Suggestions to buy a new saw to mod will be disregarded!)

Edit: It needs more compression also. I stuck some .022 solder in it and flipped it over before I took it apart. I didn't even get dirty.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back