Piston Scoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a non running 038 super. It turns over, but has no spark. I’ve already bought all of rubber and a new carb to replace right off the bat, and hoped I would try and get it running before I go tearing it apart like I am prone to do. I am satisfied with the super, but like many, I am looking for a reason to throw a magnum p and c on it. Here are the best pics I could get. I read the above article, and it seems the damage resembles overheating/lean. What I really need to know is your opinion on the pictures. Is this an automatic replacement, or should I continue with the plan and just try and get it running and see how she goes? I know I could always stick with the plan and upgrade later, but if it’s a definite switch out, I’d rather just do it all in the beginning. I know if v/c tests fail, I’ll be tearing her down, but I won’t know that until next week. I guess the real question is, can I spend this weekend shopping for a new jug and piston?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2249.png
    IMG_2249.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2247.png
    IMG_2247.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2246.png
    IMG_2246.png
    9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2246.png
    IMG_2246.png
    9 MB · Views: 0
My 2 cents. Based on the pics, you will want to pull the cylinder and see more fully what's up. I would not buy parts before that. You won't know, fully, what you might want.

But...I would P&V test before the cylinder removal. The pre-tear-down test provides useful intel. Once you have the carb and muffler off...a test takes...a couple minutes.

Making a plan knowing what caused the damage is nice.

Roy

I can’t help myself. I just scored an oem jug and piston kit off chainsawr in “good used condition.” Piston looked good, but no pics inside cylinder. I left a note saying that if there was any scoring, for him to contact me before processing the order.
From reading on here, they seem to be well trusted, so I took a chance sight unseen.
This might be a stupid question, but should I get caber rings or go with NOS OEMs, or just wait and see what they look like?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2257.png
    IMG_2257.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back