Please don't get mad - Grinding Tilt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I promise, I've read every post in this and the sharpening sub-forum on sharpening. If it was there, I was so dizzy from reading I forgot (old age)

I think I understand what most of the angles determine, but I can't visualize how the angles inter-react with each other.

When grinding with a 511AX, I think the hook is controlled by the contour of the grinding wheel. 1) My first question is, does the vise tilt change the amount of hook in the side plate, or only the angle of the grind on the side plate?

With the ability to slide the vise in/out on the AX, I see using more of the back side of the wheel is going to give more of a up-angle grind down near the gullet (everywhere for that matter), 2) but what angles is that changing and how. The manual just says to put at 0* and then change to 10* when the wheel has worn down to a specific size. 3) Should the lowest part of the wheel contact the cutter, or slightly behind the lowest part? Is there a optimum point that it should be set at?

I apologize for rehashing a worn out thread. I must be dense :monkey: :buttkick:

Homelite Super EZ AO (Red & White) My first saw, given to me by Dad
STIHL MS260 Pro
STIHL MS361

Latest posts

Back