Poplar Bores Damaging My Tree(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidH

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm a new member who's hoping to get some insight on how I can save a great Poplar tree which has bores. This tree is approximately 40 feet high and 9 years old. I planted it when it was approximately 3 feet high. I've provided it water and fertilizer every couple of years. A branch of approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length broke off a couple of weeks ago during 50 mph winds, and upon closer inspection it appeared that bore holes had weakened it to the point of breaking.

I've got about 8 more Poplar trees, 6 pine trees (Italian Stone Pine, mostly), Sycamore, and two Eucalyptus that are about the same age and maturity that I am now concerned about.

I'm located in the hot and dry Southern Calif desert, so tree life is hard won and really needed. What's the best way to knock out the bores and prevent them from returning?

THANKS!

Dave

get an insecticide labeled for borers. spray from the base of the trunk up to the first scaffold branches. this can work as a preventative or treatment. Lindane is the good stuff, but it is no longer available I believe. follow the label on repeat applications.

Many thanks; I'll give it a try ASAP. I see another limb that looks distressed and ready to fall down.

Dave

Latest posts

Back