Poulan PP4018WT Strange problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Once again I appeal to this learned august body for your sage advice. I recently purchased a Poulan PP4018WT chainsaw from a young man on craigslist stating that the saw ran well just last fall, but developed a problem over winter. The price was $50.00 and I wanted the case for my Echo CS-400-18 chainsaw. The case fits perfect, and that was worth $20 bucks to me. The bar and chain was probably worth an extra $15, so I figured at worst, I would lose $15 if I couldn't fix the problem.

The saw would start exactly the way it is supposed to, but would not accelerate to full rpm, as if starving for fuel. I checked and adjusted the splined carburetor jets to no avail. OK, time for the basics, plus a little extra. I changed all of the following; spark plug (properly gapped), fuel filter, fuel line, purge line, purge bulb and small fuel line from purge bulb to the carburetor. I rebuilt the carburetor, but that did not help. I then installed a brand new replacement carburetor and set the jets within normal ranges. The saw now starts and runs exactly as it had before I started all of this. I had previously inspected the cylinder through the spark plug hole and the exhaust side of the cylinder looked pristine as well as the piston. I removed the muffler, and viewed the piston, piston ring, and intake side of the cylinder. Everything looked like new. I ran a compression test, and the reading came in at 153 psi. The pre-mix gas I used was Husqvarna 40:1 synthetic fuel in a 32 oz can. Air filter is new, but makes no difference with it off. The muffler was checked for blockage, and it was like new. The rubber boot that the carburetor pushes into was in excellent shape, as well as the gasket below the carburetor. Right now I am suspecting that the timing is off, but that should be quite unlikely to pass factory release inspection, and the guy who had the saw said it ran good initially. So what is left? Coil and spark plug wire? It idles smoothly, so integrity of the spark plug wire should be good, and I would think that vacuum leak could be eliminated as well. Usually, I would think modular solid state coils either work or they don't. Maybe the spark is weak? Perhaps some of you mechanics have experienced these problems. OK panel of experts, have at it! Your help will be greatly appreciated.

did you try the jets adjusting the jets out of range? i just adjusted one for a guy i do work for and went way rich then came back in after it was warmed up... sorry i dont have the saw or i would go see how many turns out i did i did it then put it in a log and tweeked it.....till it ran right,,,,did not think to check what it was set at.....try going rich then come back in.... worth a try,,,,,Ps also switch the purge bulb lines first....

Right now, I am two full turns out on the high and 1 3/4 for the low. I'll give it a shot, but the wind is 40 mph and it is raining right now. Sorry I'm a Woosey, but I can wait a few hours to try your advice. Wife hates it when I run chainsaws indoors - go figure - women. Even the purge bulb lines were swapped out. Anything that can be swapped out, has been, except the coil.

Right now, I am two full turns out on the high and 1 3/4 for the low. I'll give it a shot, but the wind is 40 mph and it is raining right now. Sorry I'm a Woosey, but I can wait a few hours to try your advice. Wife hates it when I run chainsaws indoors - go figure - women. Even the purge bulb lines were swapped out. Anything that can be swapped out, has been, except the coil.
i mean you can have the purge bulb lines backwards.....

The saw would start exactly the way it is supposed to, but would not accelerate to full rpm, as if starving for fuel. I checked and adjusted the splined carburetor jets to no avail.
Can you elaborate on this? No matter how you adjust the L and H it will not accelerate properly?

First, to Stubnail67, purge lines are installed in the correct configuration. The center post is exhaust. When you push the primer bulb, it exhausts or purges air and extra fuel back to the tank. Let go of the primer bulb, and it creates vacuum to the short line going into the left side of the carburetor as you face it. The low pressure in the carburetor then draws fuel from the hose going down to the fuel filter. The carburetor fuel intake is on the right side of the carburetor on this model. This is a change from some earlier configurations. Carb has two barrels, one over the other.

To Chris-PA, I have previously enriched the low speed jet, rpms dropped and throttle screw needed to be advanced. Saw still would not accelerate. Too much enrichment and the saw would die. That was with old carb. Still need to try the new carburetor with extra, extra enrichment. If that works, then this points to a vacuum problem ( at least that is my opinion, but I am no expert). Weather is beginning to break. Should get a test in soon with the ultra enrichment.

Is the throttle link on correct and properly opening the butterfly? Seems like you have checked most things off the list.

yea i know how the primer bulb works...i have fixed about 6 that the previous owner had them backwards...Just trying to be helpful good day to you..

I would like to send a special thank you to stubnail67. We just a got break in the rain, and I took the chainsaw out into 33 degrees with 40 mph winds. Almost blew off the trap doors. whew! I cranked the idle screw way up, because I was going to be adjusting outside of normal range. I can't believe it. I am 2 5/8 out on the low and 2 3/4 out on the high speed jet and I am finally getting full rpm bumping into the limiter, giving that fake four cycle sound. Almost no smoke at all. I never adjusted a Poulan out that far before. I will be doing plenty of fine tuning in wood when the weather improves. I tried leaning the low back to just two full turns, with the high still at 2 3/4 and the saw started to balk at the idea of accelerating. Maybe this is an odd carburetor, just hope it is not because of a vacuum leak. I had even removed the exhaust deflector and spark screen to make sure there were no hidden muffler problems in the last test. I think I have it from here. Thanks guys. PS> as long as the deflector and spark arrestor are off, Hummmm. That exhaust slot is mighty small.

First, to Stubnail67, purge lines are installed in the correct configuration. The center post is exhaust. When you push the primer bulb, it exhausts or purges air and extra fuel back to the tank. Let go of the primer bulb, and it creates vacuum to the short line going into the left side of the carburetor as you face it. The low pressure in the carburetor then draws fuel from the hose going down to the fuel filter. The carburetor fuel intake is on the right side of the carburetor on this model. This is a change from some earlier configurations. Carb has two barrels, one over the other.

To Chris-PA, I have previously enriched the low speed jet, rpms dropped and throttle screw needed to be advanced. Saw still would not accelerate. Too much enrichment and the saw would die. That was with old carb. Still need to try the new carburetor with extra, extra enrichment. If that works, then this points to a vacuum problem ( at least that is my opinion, but I am no expert). Weather is beginning to break. Should get a test in soon with the ultra enrichment.
Stubnail67 - sorry if I stepped on your toes, didn't mean it that way. Just trying to show that I had a grasp of the situation. Not trying to school my more learned friends. Appreciated your help.

If this poulan is similar to the husky 240 than 2.5 turns out is normal. The way you described the carb made it seem like it might be the same as what is on the 240. It's a lot more than most carbs, I was surprised too

I just got a non running Husqy 141 (40cc). Having same type problems as lumbar. After carb cleaning, it took 2.5 turns out on L jet to get a stable 4 stroking.
Carb is a Walbro WT-834a.

If this poulan is similar to the husky 240 than 2.5 turns out is normal. The way you described the carb made it seem like it might be the same as what is on the 240. It's a lot more than most carbs, I was surprised too
I guess life is a learning process. Boy have I got allot to learn - ha! Something new all the time.

Latest posts

Back