Poulan Pro 335 what happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelhamjeff

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning folks. I bought this saw 3 years ago and never could get it to run right. We're slow enough at work that today I took it apart and the intake side of the piston is collapsed at the bottom of the skirt. Which my pics will show if they load. I have a 3300 that I was thinking about cannibalizing the piston and cylinder off of, but I read that the piston from the 3300 will only have 1 ring. If this is true, can I still use it? Has anybody ever seen a piston damaged the way mine is? Thanks 20240117_075520.jpg20240117_075548.jpg

How thin is the skirt where the rod contacted it? I have seen pistons worn razor edged thin at the bottom of the skirt but not bent like yours. They usually break a chunk off the bottom when they get really thin.

How thin is the skirt where the rod contacted it? I have seen pistons worn razor edged thin at the bottom of the skirt but not bent like yours. They usually break a chunk off the bottom when they get really thin.
It's not thin enough to just collapse in like that. I'm trying to figure out how the rod would have ever contacted the skirt. As far as I can tell, the cyl has never been off this saw.

Piston from 3300 wont work. It is chromed.

You want the piston from 330 3450 or 335 red or 3.3 blue black ones. Bare 1 ring

I just pulled a saveable set too.
How much do you want for that set? Would you by any chance have a usable 3.7 P/C? I have a minty craftsman 3.3 like you have there. Nice collection you have!

How much do you want for that set? Would you by any chance have a usable 3.7 P/C? I have a minty craftsman 3.3 like you have there. Nice collection you have!
I was going to hold onto it for 2 I have left or the many I got out there on locals saws.

Now which 3.7? 4 different ones.

Dont collect saws, sold them all but 1. Least 10 or more at one time.

c33x5zz.jpg
c33nosss.jpgc33NOSzz.jpg

It's not thin enough to just collapse in like that. I'm trying to figure out how the rod would have ever contacted the skirt. As far as I can tell, the cyl has never been off this saw.
The rod could contact the skirt after it got bent in, the mystery is how did the skirt get bent in the first place. Only way I could see that happen is if the piston is too long below the pin and or if the skirt contacted the edge of the crankcase at the level the cylinder base bolts on. If the cylinder was off center a bit that could happen much like when we build hybrids using a bigger bore cylinder the piston can contact the deck, often the opening has to be relieved to allow for clearance. Check the deck area, edge of crankcase for evidence of it being hit.

The 3.7 that will work on a 335 PRO. Not the countervibe 3.7.
3.7 is not a bolt on for 335. Extra work involved to use one to make it work. 54cc big as those go stock on that crankcase.

None left FS either.

Attachments

• p365360037.jpg
    p365360037.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • p365c.jpg
    p365c.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
3.7 is not a bolt on for 335. Extra work involved to use one to make it work. 54cc big as those go stock on that crankcase.

None left FS either.
Thank you sir. I saw a craftsman 3.7 saw like all those ones you have and just assumed it was a bigger bore cylinder for the same crankcase as the 3.3. If I could find a 3.7 cylinder and piston, I'd do whatever extra work it took to have a sleeper but would also settle for just putting her back stock, one ring, 2 rings, whatever. Are you saying that my 3300 piston and cylinder won't work on my 335? Or just that I can't use the 3300 piston in the 335 cylinder?

Thank you sir. I saw a craftsman 3.7 saw like all those ones you have and just assumed it was a bigger bore cylinder for the same crankcase as the 3.3. If I could find a 3.7 cylinder and piston, I'd do whatever extra work it took to have a sleeper but would also settle for just putting her back stock, one ring, 2 rings, whatever. Are you saying that my 3300 piston and cylinder won't work on my 335? Or just that I can't use the 3300 piston in the 335 cylinder?
3300 would work if you replaced as a set. Putting 3300 bare bore cylinder with chromed piston as set.

Not gaining much going from 54cc to 60cc p+c IMO.
You would want to replace the carb and intake boot too. Those are on 330 3450 380 3750.

What I used to do to the 365. Since I like the low tops.

Attachments

• p365bigcarbintake.JPG
    p365bigcarbintake.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 0
I really appreciate the advise. My 1st saw was a PP335. I'd like to do something cool on this one, without getting into porting. You seem like you know your Poulans. What would you do with this one? What is a low top? If you have the P/C, intake and carb that you would recommend, please feel free to PM me because I'll buy them.

Morning folks. I bought this saw 3 years ago and never could get it to run right. We're slow enough at work that today I took it apart and the intake side of the piston is collapsed at the bottom of the skirt. Which my pics will show if they load. I have a 3300 that I was thinking about cannibalizing the piston and cylinder off of, but I read that the piston from the 3300 will only have 1 ring. If this is true, can I still use it? Has anybody ever seen a piston damaged the way mine is? Thanks View attachment 1145176View attachment 1145177
Overreved.
Shadow chatter marks in the plating. Broken skirt.
Could have had stuck rings.

I wonder if at some point someone jammed something in the intake to lock the piston & the damage started that way. Any sign of the missing bit in there?
I've never heard of somebody going to that much trouble to lock the engine, but that would explain it. I can't find the missing part of the skirt. I've had the saw upside down trying to shake it out. The guy who sold it to me was sketchy but I can't figure out how he could have done this.

Back