Ppe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If this topic has been addredssed already, please tell me where on th forum it is. :confused: What sort of protective equipment do you guys recommend? I currently don't wear chaps or a vest and dont know too many guys that do ( I'm talking weekenders here ) I wear heavy boots and gloves, ear plugs and safety glasses. I have been thinking I should invest in chaps and maybe a vest and helmet but don't know which ones to buy. I have checked on the web and the prices are pretty consistent from mfg. to mfg. I don't cut every day or even every week but I think it's still a sound investment. Any brand loyalty out there ?
Thanks,
Steve:cool:

speaking from expierence chaps can save you. i got stupid about 2 years back and cut a few small trees with out a pair and the saw kicked on me and took a good chunk out of my knee. i could barley walk for 2 weeks. so the 60-70 bucks you spend on chaps will save you a lot in the long run.

I when use working or just cutting firewood,logger helmet with hear and eye protection,husqvarna steel toed cut proof boots,and if I'm working away from the trucks or skidder I ware cut resistant jacket and chaps.The helmet has saved my life on a couple of good hits from falling limbs.It would be a good investment,keeps alot of chips out of your eyes also.Stihl and husqvarna helmets(I think) are made by peltor so same there.I think both have good safty stuff, just see who has the best deals.:D Dan

Idunno about where you are, but here we have a store called 'Safety Mart' or something like that. They have everything from first aid kits to warning signs. I get my 'ANSI' sunglasses there, as cheap as convienence store glasses, but impact rated. If you have a store like that near you, they can set you up with everything but chaps.
Also, check with Sherrill's (banner ad at top of this page). They have a decent selection of safety stuff also, more geared towards tree work.

Hi Steve, I`d have to agree with the other guys that chaps are a must, as a minimum. Full wrap, the ones that go all the way around your calf, are most protective and aren`t much more expensive than plain chaps. When buying chaps you don`t want them as long as your inseam. That`s why they typically come in lengths like 28", 32", and 36" for the bigger guys like Gypo. For your feet I advocate steel safety toes with a heavy lug sole(Vibram) or calks for two reasons. Obviously you can`t be in control if you don`t have sure footing, and that steel toe will inexplicably come up cut on occassion. Leather gloves of any weight are nothing more than a comfort item, wear them if you like them. True chainsaw gloves have cut resistant material on the back of the left hand to protect the tendons on your hand in a kickback. Leather can be cut so fast you wouldn`t believe it. Earmuffs, although hot, are a must have unless you like sawdust in your ears from reinserting plugs, and the muffs also help keep your helmet on. Helmets are lifesavers when felling and even occasionally when limbing if cutting limbs under tension or compression. Screens are good eye protection if your chain is sharp and it`s not too windy or dusty, and the best ones usually have some sort of nylon hood or debris shield that works with the helmet to keep rain and other crap from getting behind the screen. I do have to admit that I`ve never seen the need for a jacket, for the angles I work at, and one of my favorite pieces of PPE is a Stihl Landscapers shield, just ear muffs and a face screen. You really want to assess your needs before wearing this in the woods though. There are many good places on-line to purchase these items, namely Sherrill or Bailey`s, Madsen`s, Commercial Cutters or Cutter`s Choice. I`ve found that most chaps are comparable in quality, but helmets should be a recognized name. There is some junk out there in terms of helmets that should be illegal to sell. Hope this long winded pontification helps. Russ

If bucking;

helmet w/ face shield and ears

ANSI Z 133 states that hardhat and eye protection shall be worn whenever tree work is in progress.

chaps or saw pants shall be worn whenever operating saws on the ground.

Also remember that they ar RESISTANT not chainsaw PROOF!

Latest posts

Back