precision falling maple spar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Tree Falling: a maple spar in a fairly tight drop zone between a house and the neighbor's driveway. This 1 minute video was shot by the customer on his phone.. The background conversation is between the customer and the neighbors.

I was originally planning on making the cut from the ground, but didn't like the bend in the spar, which could have caused the tree to bounce and roll after impact. So I decided to make the cut at about 10' height from the bucket. It takes a good deal of confidence to make these types of cuts when there is so much valuable property at risk.

If you listen closely at the very end, you can hear the customer say "I need to take my medication".. :)

IMG_0316.MOV - YouTube

heh...more confidence than have!

i would have been cutting smaller pieces...lol

good call!!!!!

That was a nice fall there Murph. Particularily due to the need for having solid directional control from the hinge until it comits, yet also having the butt realease so it lands fairly flat without doing a kegstand and rolling into the house.

Setup and timing has to be close to perfect, unless you bored it, in that case just set up (which requires exact estimations and execution) and trip. Nice job.

I have been pulling cuts like that off since I was 12 and only knew traditional notches (used for felling on the ground) and and humboldt notches (used for felling in the tree) and how to manipulate them a bit mostly all by feel and instinct (not in depth understanding), so nothing new to me. Not trying to be smug and condescending, just saying, lol.

If I have one like that that has a crook in it and will give me a bad bounce, I tie a rope on the top and the butt and snoose them up (just take the sag out) as side ropes in the direction away from the house, then the piece can only bounce up, to the direction of tie off, or stretch the rope a bit more and creep to the house. Anyway it holds em' down like a tied alligator, which would make for another good vid, the tied alligator scenario.

Again, good shot Murph.

Last edited:
That was a nice fall there Murph. Particularily due to the need for having solid directional control from the hinge until it comits, yet also having the butt realease so it lands fairly flat without doing a kegstand and rolling into the house.

Setup and timing has to be close to perfect, unless you bored it, in that case just set up (which requires exact estimations and execution) and trip. Nice job.

I have been pulling cuts like that off since I was 12 and only knew traditional notches (used for felling on the ground) and and humboldt notches (used for felling in the tree) and how to manipulate them a bit mostly all by feel and instinct (not in depth understanding), so nothing new to me. Not trying to be smug and condescending, just saying, lol.

If I have one like that that has a crook in it and will give me a bad bounce, I tie a rope on the top and the butt and snoose them up (just take the sag out) as side ropes in the direction away from the house, then the piece can only bounce up, to the direction of tie off, or stretch the rope a bit more and creep to the house. Anyway it holds em' down like a tied alligator, which would make for another good vid, the tied alligator scenario.

Again, good shot Murph.

Ya, I've seen your falling technique and it is sound.. I tied an alligator last week..

Tons of room to drop it..............unless you trying to save the drive way? that would be different!

I keep seeing the words "Extreme" & "Precision".......Not to be cruel but, what Ive seen is basic day to day stuff.........Not to mention that you did get Lucky on this one cause it bounced & rolled right toward the house.

LXT...........

The work is day to day basic same ole stuff...............the Luck is in the tree not bounce smashing the house! you took a shot & it worked (this time). To me what I viewed was complacency & uneeded reckless work! when it catches up to you?....be sure to put that video on line!

atleast AA knows he has alot to learn..............but you!.. well its clear you feel you have learned enough to put out instructional videos that by your own self admittance are beyond understanding for many on here.......How silly

LXT..................

Latest posts

Back