preserving wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lives in forest

Reaction score
Hey folks new here and kinda new at the wood game. I've had to cut a couple nice Honeysuckles (I'm told). I've got some nice 2 ft. by 10-14 inch pieces that I want to get milled. How do I protect them until I find someone. Anything special I should do? Thanks

Welcome!

Are they 2' in length and 10"-14" in diameter? If so, not many mills will be able to dog something that small. Look for someone with an 18" or so resaw (vertical bandsaw). Until then, seal the ends of the logs ASAP. If you search the milling threads you will find more information than you probably want to know on the subject.

A word of caution, my interest in milling started in much the same way. It's a LONG slippery slope.

:cheers:

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Welcome!

Are they 2' in length and 10"-14" in diameter? If so, not many mills will be able to dog something that small. :

Years ago before I got my csm and Ripsaw mills, I too needed some small chunks of walnut sawn up, and as aggie says, nobody wanted to do it because of the work resetting thier dogs on the mill to accept that small stuff. Finally found an Amish mill in S Maryland that took the time to do just that, and sliced them up right nice for me. The old man said to me as I dropped off the wood "the men aren't gonna like changing those dogs but we'll get it done for ya". They were also cheaper priced than the other mills in the area. The Amish apparently aren't afraid of a little extra work.

I too often use my resaw bandsaw for small stuff rather than set up my csm or ripsaw, kinda like a mini-vertical bandmill. You need a sharp blade though, or it will start to wander, then get hot and bog down quickly.

preserving wood again

Thanks, much appreciated, fortunately I live smack dab in Amish country and I thought thats who I would probly need to do it. Another question though, what do I seal the ends with till then? Thanks

Latest posts

Back