Prevailing wage in PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm bidding on a maintenance contract along a 2 mile section of state road. Job will require prevailing wage- either Federal or state (whichever is higher).

How do you go about determining prev. wage rates? It's pretty confusing to me. For PA I submitted a request here. But on the federal site I can't find anywhere where it mentions tree pruning.

We've done a couple prev wage jobs in NY. It was a little simpler to find the info we needed there.

This is kind of a slow response...

I've never bid on a contract that specifies using a prevailing wage that also doesn't specify the prevailing wage details. I'm sure the contracting officer for that contract (probably too late for the bid :dumb: ) can tell you where to get the information.

Something to consider for the next such job: Get the bidder's list (or plan holders) from the purchasing agent. Then send your subcontracting proposal to all the bidders on the project.

That kind of depends, of course, on your relationship with the primary bidder. They might view any such actions as treachery that reduces their chance of winning, and they might resolve to not use you on future bids.

We finally figured it out. The prime contractor did not win the bid anyway. We will get em next time.
Hey Mike,
I run a tree service in NW PA and I got asked to bid about a mile of road for "daylighting". They told me that I would have to pay prevailing wage if the bid was over 25K. I've never had to think about prevailing wage. Did you find out what that would be in PA? Was there a lot of hassle and paperwork involved with working a prevailing wage job, or was it similar to any other commercial job?

Hey. We've done several PW jobs but not too often. It's not too bad. Takes a little but of extra detail with wage and fringe benefits in your payroll.

The last time we did one it was 48 per hour. You also need to know whether it's state or fed prev wage. Penndot is usually federal.

Back