PTO Driven Chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
infomet

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
We have some land and the forest is always creeping in on us. We burn wood, but under 3" or so it isn'r worth sawing up, so I'm starting to lust after a chipper. I hate burning and making all that heat and CO2 for nothing.

I have a 47 HP tractor, so can easily supply the power.

Does anyone have experience with 4-8" pto driven unints? I see the Jimma with power feed, which seems much better than things like the Merry Mac and DR with manual feed. This is just home use, so I'll never wear it out!

Here's one supposedly marked down from $2900 to $1900! You can even see a skinny woman in a sales video.

It's overkill, but it costs me a couple hundred bucks when a chipper comes do do a couple of brush piles! Naturally I'd like to find a second hand one if I can!!

Thanks,

Tekko

Tekko

ArboristSite Member
The Jinma chippers seem like a good choice to me.

But if you want to chip just smaller branches below 3" i think an ordinary garden mulcher will do just fine. Mebbe a Camon C150 (not PTO driven thought) could suit your needs ?

infomet

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
Good grief, 1800 POUNDS, over $3000. My heart goes out to you!
The 6" Jimma is available for $1995, with power feed.
It's my observation that anything with even half decent performance that's self powered will cost way more than the PTO unit. I'm pretty sure I'd rather run the old tractor than get mixed up with yet another engine.
Did you see the Utube of the Camon?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnxpS6DMP3A

Thanks,

Wismer

Wismer

ArboristSite Operative
Check out Wallenstein PTO chippers, A friend has one and coupled with one of our tractors (we both have New Holland TN95F tractors) It eats wood up to 6 inches.

infomet

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
There are a couple of threads on tractorbynet that discuss Jinma chippers at GREAT length. Very useful info. Aside from a smallish problem with the feedwheel drive, they seem pretty good for a casual user. Well under $2k and capable of handling 6" sticks. I burn most everything over 3", so that's fine. There are some demo videos, but not very long ones. Let me know if you can't find the thread.

I've never seen a real 6" machine used for anywhere near this price.

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
One of my friends has a Jinma 6" PTO chipper he's looking to sell. It's only been used on 1 job for about 10 days, and I believe he's looking to get ~$1,000 for it.

fixitguy75

fixitguy75

ArboristSite Operative
I own the Jinma 6" chipper and have been very satisfied with it's performance. It is quite impressive what this little chipper will chew up, and it does so very quickly! If your knives are good and sharp you can just keep stuffing it in. I did a lot of research before buying this and for the money you just can't beat it. B.T.W. I got mine from Affordable Tractors in Bellville, Texas. Mine was just over $1900 including shipping and 2 spare feedroll drive knuckles and a spare set of knives! Can't beat it i.m.o.:rockn:

musch

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
I Bet that tractor puts out CO2 too, If you truly love the environment, use an axe to chip up those trees!:cheers: :biggrinbounce2:

Did you seriously just post that in a Large Equipment forum?

Next up- the chainsaw forum, to post messages about manual two man logging saws.
:buttkick:

BTW, you can convert your deisel tractor to run on veg oil, and it has 0 emissions. So there. :taped:

sawyerDave

sawyerDave

ArboristSite Operative
Obviously, You didn't Get it

Did you seriously just post that in a Large Equipment forum?

Next up- the chainsaw forum, to post messages about manual two man logging saws.
:buttkick:

BTW, you can convert your deisel tractor to run on veg oil, and it has 0 emissions. So there. :taped:
Since infomet ignored my post, I assume he has no dog in this fight, however, to explain, for those who arrived on the short bus, or did not read the original post, it sounded to me that infomet was using the logic of CO2 emissions to justify his purchase of a Chinese chipper for his tractor. I was carrying this logic to its extreme when I suggested he use an axe to chip his trees, as this would eliminate the most CO2.
With regard to YOUR assertion that a diesel engine running on peanut oil produces no emissions, I propose a simple test- Are you game, son? Here goes -I challenge you to put any diesel engine that you choose into a short sea container, along with, say any test equipment that you care to stay and monitor, and maybe a high school Physics or chemistry book, close the doors, and watch the CO, CO2, and O2 gauges. Do this test one night, son, and get back to me with the results. If you like, take pictures of the gauges for proof, son. When you get back to me, ask any questions you like, son, I'll do my best to answer them!:bang: :bang:

infomet

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
Just slow here.
I haven't run any numbers, but I'm pretty sure chipping a pound of wood makes less CO2 than burning a pound. Besides, my wife wants the chips, so it would clean up the brush, give her mulch, and save me the 25 miles roundtrip to the dump. Not to mention avoiding the ******s who work there and the $18 per scoop cost.

Is there a bad reason to buy a new tool?

musch

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
OK smart guy...

This is from Greasecar.com

Q Will a Greasecar fuel system reduce emissions?
A Yes. There is no sulfur content in vegetable oil which eliminates the first major carcinogen associated with diesel fuel. Vegetable oil plants absorb more carbon dioxide from the air during their growing cycle than is released when the oil is burned, this means that vegetable oil does not produce excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (this is referred to as carbon neutral). Due to a slightly cooler burn some studies have shown NOX reductions when burning vegetable oil. More studies are underway and results will vary depending on engine and tuning. As a sulfur free, bio-mass fuel vegetable oil emissions are less harmful to the environment and less toxic to people and animals.

musch

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Grease cars

I have a local guy with all the experience. Seen his setups on everything from old Mercedes to full size trucks. He has even been to Germany to meet the manufacturers. There is an issue in the north with a 1 or 2 tank setup, which you have to resolve, (since veg oil doesn't flow well at 20 degrees ;) )but I think they have gotten the kinks out. PM me, and I'll hook you up.

musch

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
take the test I outlined in the last post?:hmm3grin2orange:
:spam:

Before you start casting "short bus" aspersions regarding my comment re: emissions, I was writing in shorthand, and didn't think I had to explain the entire process. I am quite certain that I understand CO2 as well as internal combustion.

As for your "test", I think we all recognize what the results would be.
You fail to acknowledge the aforementioned entire process, and insist on singling out one phase of the continuum.

Back to my original point, however, your suggestion is ridiculous, and furthermore, you probably need to take yourself a little less seriously.

sawyerDave

sawyerDave

ArboristSite Operative
Ah the truth will set you free

If you do not do the test, without regard to the result, you are not relying on science for your answer. Is it perhaps religion that you are relying on, son, the religion of global warming? If you won't take the test, will you answer me another question? Ready? Here goes-Do you know why I refer to you as son, son?:dizzy: :dizzy:

Latest posts