Pulp Cords in KY?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusnakes

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the site, but a long-time user of other similar forums (e.g., **********). I am looking for a source for pulp cords for use in northern KY (between Louisville and Cincy). We get pulp cords delivered here at my home in Michigan (typically 20 full cords of either mixed hardwood or all debarked oak). My dad owns a farm in No. KY and is running out of viable firewood on his property at this point. I thought...no big deal. Let's get a load dropped there on his property and process it for him...I mean, they are technically situated at the edge of the eastern forest. Well, it's proving to be a bigger ordeal than I expected, to be honest!

Any thoughts about sources for pulp cords in the region would be great.

Your problem is not a lack of available wood so much as the cost of delivering it. Farther east the type of loads you are talking about can be easily sold locally for about 25 dollars a ton or slightly better. You are going to have to be willing to beat that to have any success.

Thanks for the thoughts, Cuznguido. So, if a seasoned full cord of wood is about 1 ton and a green full cord is about 2.5 tons, that would mean you'd have to best $25-62.50/full cord then? Here we pay $125 per cord for seasoned debarked oak logs. ($2500 for 20 cords; seasoned at a minimum 1 year; you can get 20 cords of green debarked oak logs for $2000).

Am I interpreting what you are saying correctly?

I do know another issue is the size of the load that can be delivered in the area. I was told that articulated logging trucks with knuckle booms are supposedly pretty rare in the region based on a discussion with someone at the KY Forest Industries Association. Not understanding how wood is sold/purchased in that region is making things a bit trickier than I had anticipated.

Latest posts

Back