Pulp Markets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey92TT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I work in Northern Wisconsin and was wondering if the pulp markets(maple, birch, ash, basswood ect.) were as bad everywhere as they are here? We are really struggling to ship wood because the mills are filled up and the log markets are not good also because housing is down. I'm curious to see how it is everywhere else. Many loggers I know are going out of business and I've considered it myself if this keeps up. Any info would be great, thanks.:cheers:

From what I understand it is worldwide glut. Here where there are massive beetle killed pine forests (bigger than Texas), they can't give away the pulp, really cheap stumpage.

Some markets are tight and some are wide open.I can sell everything that I cut.
I think with so many chipping outfits around now it keeps the mills from getting flooded.Prices on Biomass up here are pretty good.

Here in ontario the pulp market's aren't very good sometime's you can't even give the stuff away and they say that it's not going to get any better any time soon.The log markets are pretty bad to if you have good timber you can always sell it but for about half the price you were selling it for last year.I sure hope things change soon it's hard telling land owners that ther timber isn't worth a hole lot now adays

Hey Buzz, as a logger, what do you do while the markets are so bad? Here, it's just try to make it as long as you can and not go bankrupt until it comes around. If it ever does?

Hey Buzz, as a logger, what do you do while the markets are so bad? Here, it's just try to make it as long as you can and not go bankrupt until it comes around. If it ever does?

I just try to keep going but it's hard i have some real nice bush to cut but don't really want to because of the prices.But if i don't cut them i will probably lose them to some one else i lost 600 acres to another logger last winter that really hurts.I also do hazardous tree removal and lot and road clearing being trying to do more of that for now hoping that the price will come up a little for summer.How are things where you are?

It's been tough here this spring because we can't cut much anyways because the ground doesn't dry up til mid-May. I work for Plum Creek and they are a good company but they can't control the markets. I understand you losing those jobs to someone else if you don't cut them, but you can't lose money though if the prices are so low. I need to start picking up other work like that or I'm gonna be out of this business. Putting all your eggs in the logging basket isn't such a great idea these days. Hopefully it gets better.

Back