Put the stove to bed for the year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cleaned and vacuumed out my wood stove for the year this weekend.
Still plenty of cold weather left here in Connecticut, but I'm OUTTA WOOD. Just wasn't worth the money to get more delivered. Plus, late season wood can be the tail end of the pile, never know what your gonna get. Totally underestimated the amount of wood I'd burn. Went through about 3 to 3/12 cord. Bringing in 5 for next winter. Miss that stove going at night...

Mine has been out since Friday:( Today is not real cold but really really windy and our house is very drafty so at lunch time I fired her up so it will be nice and toasty when I get home. I am also at the bottom of the barrel burning just about anything I can get my hands on without having to pay for it.

i just started burning stuff that really isnt seasoned mixed with a log or so thaqts seasoned. trying to make the winter but i dunno if its gonna happen. that shenandoah really chewed the wood. i bet it eats twice as much as my insert. ive been only using my insert the last month or so to conserve wood.

we've had three days in a row of temps reaching 70 here in virginia. I know it'll get cold again, for a bit, so I'm going to keep the OWB going this week and see what next week holds. I'm determined not to use the kerosene direct-vent space heater as a supplement this year.

I too am burning bottom of the barrel. mostly some very old and half rotted black locust that I hauled in from the back field. seems to be doing fine though.

Hell, we're just coasting now... With this latest warm up, we can see the front yard again! Still burning once a day to keep the chill out but even that has the house staying @ 76° :dizzy:

lol got 3 inches of snow on the ground here. wood supply running low already went through ten cord.

wow fellas.

the winds here wont even let me think about slowing down for another month. single digits tonight, below zero tomorrow:censored:

im ready to be done, should have enough wood, just tired of carrying it

Just trying to keep a low bed of coals going here, without having to open a window. Tossing some gnarly unsplitable knots in over night to keep the hootch about 70.

But that is fixing to change soon enough.
We always get one last blast in March.

I'm already sick of the rain and Mud.

It's getting in the way of cutting and farming.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back