Pwder Post Beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some rough sawn hardwood that was given to me that I need to go pick up. Problem is htat some of it has the beetles in the outer sapwood. Is there a danger that they will get into my other drying wood if I bring this onsite?

Nice title....should ready "Powder Post Beetles."

Is there a danger that they will get into my other drying wood if I bring this onsite?

Yup.. when the little beetles hatch out they go wandering off looking for any other tasty dry wood in the vicinity.

I'm not sure what time of year that is, but you want the stuff fumigated or cooked in a kiln before then.

Cheers

Ian

Yup.. when the little beetles hatch out they go wandering off looking for any other tasty dry wood in the vicinity.

I'm not sure what time of year that is, but you want the stuff fumigated or cooked in a kiln before then.

Cheers

Ian

This wood is already kiln dried....what fumigation??????

I'm no expert, and I'm new to milling, but keep that wood AWAY FROM YOURS!! I've heard of people having to get their (timber frame) homes fumigated because of unsterilized wood infecting their existing wood structure. I've heard that they don't usually infect already dried wood, but its not worth infesting your lumber for some free stuff, unless you have access to a kiln to bring everything over 140 deg. F. I don't know how long you're supposed to keep it at that temp. Its somewhere in my fine woodworking book....

if the wood has been kiln dried since it was sawn, it should be fine. Just make sure that they got it HOT.

The beetles can always re-infect wood if it is outside, unprotected. I've read in the same "wood and how to dry it" book that a sure-fire way to protect already kiln dried wood is to wrap it in plastic wrap as a stack.

As was said, beetles WILL travel from infected wood to other wood nearby. I have actually had this happen to me. Different species like different kinds and wetness's of wood. Some infect wet wood, some like dry. I had a pile of dry (had been air dried several years) walnut get infected once, and it didn't take long before the whole stack was riddled. Another reason to check your stored stacks of wood every once in a while. I have wood stashed away that I might not look at closely for years. Nobody likes unpleasant surprises when they dip into that stash of cherry boards in the back of the shed and find they've been beetle food for last year or so. For those of us that have thousands of bd ft of lumber stored away for future use, it's a constant battle to keep it from the bugs and moisture. Not complaining... just the nature of the beast.

............ Different species like different kinds and wetness's of wood. Some infect wet wood, some like dry...................

This is true, and the species that likes dry wood, likes to eat floors, furniture and structure.

I'm having massive trouble with wood worm and bettle maggots that have in fected my wood stack from some spalted beech that I was given for free. Can't work out how to get rid of them!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the temp is 170F to kill bugs, eggs, whatever - Not 140. And it has to be held for a few hours too, so the heat goes through the whole board, not just the outside.

Latest posts

Back