Q: Am I overloading my trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been accused many times of overloading my trailer, and so far havent had any problems. My weak link in the tow area is my tow vehicle, a Dodge Dakota 4wd Crew Cab. I pull a 16 foot trailer with it, and have many times exceeded the 9000lb rating of the trailer for short trips home.
Getting going isnt a problem,its stopping the thing that really gets me nervous. I keep threatening to put brakes on the trailer, but have yet to get around to it. More than once I have had all four wheels locked up tryiing to stop the thing.
Like a lot of idiots on the road, I keep loading until the tires are starting to sag, thinking that, "dang, I only got 6 more rounds, I hate to come back for that"
Of course, I fail to take into account those rounds are 40 inches across, and in themselves are probably more than what my truck is designed to handle.
I guess we all have to learn the hard way sometimes.

I managed to finish this and it was quite good but man, we need to have an AS lesson in punctuation and use of paragraphs. My brain now hurts.

sorry to hurt your brain im kinda lacking in the book smarts area of education plenty of street smarts though and real world experince i have met some really highly educated people that did not know which end of a chainsaw to hold:dizzy: once again sorry to hurt your brain:monkey:

W5, the tires are genuine trailer tires. I think I paid $65 each for them new. The ones that came on the trailer were used car tires. I swapped them out last year when they started to dry rot (cracks). I serviced the bearings about a month ago and installed some of those spring loaded "bearing buddies" that you pump full of grease so it keeps the bearings full. You're right about the tongue not being full length, If you look at the pic, you can see where it ends just forward of the fender. I've seen those heavy duty trailers where the tongue is full length and actually makes up the outer frame of the trailer. It's one piece of channel from rear light to trailer hitch. One day... and a 3/4T to pull it would be nice.. :) Probably not going to happen though short of some windfall of money.

Ian

W5, the tires are genuine trailer tires. I think I paid $65 each for them new. The ones that came on the trailer were used car tires. I swapped them out last year when they started to dry rot (cracks). I serviced the bearings about a month ago and installed some of those spring loaded "bearing buddies" that you pump full of grease so it keeps the bearings full. You're right about the tongue not being full length, If you look at the pic, you can see where it ends just forward of the fender. I've seen those heavy duty trailers where the tongue is full length and actually makes up the outer frame of the trailer. It's one piece of channel from rear light to trailer hitch. One day... and a 3/4T to pull it would be nice.. :) Probably not going to happen though short of some windfall of money.

Ian
You can always get a old 3/4 ton even a two wheel drive.
I have a similar set up to you but have a beater 1980 chev 1/2 ton that was a deiesel but now runs a Olds 307 great reliable truck but Rusty:mad: I sold my 96 F250 last year but still have a mint and I mean mint! 1979 w250 dodge powerwagon for my camper but too lazy to take the camper off and on. So I am stuck with my Two wheel drive with chains. My trailer sounds just like yours It's 7'x5' with 34'' sides and plywood lid But then I cut dead standing pine so at the most I have 1800lbs according to the road scales on my trailer. Yes I did wight it and most of the time I come under a ton, Dam you guy's with the hard wood lol!
But now I am cutting wind blown green wood and dam that stuff is heavy!! Next years wood I am 1/4 the way!

Last edited:
Problem with an old truck is that I have the worst luck with them. I could buy a truck that would run great for anyone else for years and it'll spin a bearing on me in 2 weeks. It would turn into a money pit in short order no doubt and have the maintenance routine of an Apache Helicopter.. 40 hrs of maintenance for 1 hour of driving time. LOL

Ian

Problem with an old truck is that I have the worst luck with them. I could buy a truck that would run great for anyone else for years and it'll spin a bearing on me in 2 weeks. It would turn into a money pit in short order no doubt and have the maintenance routine of an Apache Helicopter.. 40 hrs of maintenance for 1 hour of driving time. LOL

Ian
It could not be worse than a Sea King!!lol I am lucky as I only had the best of luck with my old trucks. Dam should never have sold the F250 but did not like feeding the 460,My 502 in my Blazer gets much better gas mileage and power.

Ian

haywire you bring up an intresting fact on bearing buddies.
they were origanally designed for use in the marine trailer industrie what had happened on marine trailers was lets say your hauling a boat down to the launch ramp you have been on the highway for quite awhile.its hot outside you may have brakes on that trailer the whole hub asy. generates heat.

now by the grace of the boating gods you dont have to wait at launch ramp your able to whip your boat right into the water (cool or cold water)
hot hub cold water will suck water through the seal into the hub cavity between the inner and outer bearing.

this water will be traped in the hub rusting bearings,races,etc. causing failure.

bearing buddies allow you to pump grease into this cavity it may or may not make it to the inner.

have pulled hubs down with bearing buddies outer well greased inner bone dry.

this also applies to the axles that have a grease zerk on the end of spindle more often than not the hole for the inner gets pluged and no grease makes it to the inner bearing.

if you have brakes on the trailer they should be inspected and adjusted annually have to pull apart for this mine as well pack the bearings .

seals are fairly cheap axles are not !!! youcan buy an bearing packer where you put the bearing in and press old grease out new in for less than 30.00 bucks .

and if your on the road and you burn up an axle it gets pricy quick and if you have torsion axles (no leaf springs) you will be down while one is made non stocking item anywhere just to many variables.unless trailer manf.can ship you one .

like the old saying goes ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

im not trying to sound like i know it all just trying to be helpful so someone might not be stuck out on the road .

if you have any other trailer or r.v. related chassis maintence question by all means talk to me i will try to help.

rick

Ian

I kinda know what you're getting at. You've probably read my threads/posts about me needing 'more' truck. I could probably sell my truck and buy a Ford F250HD gasser, a year older, and with more miles than mine without having to put out more money. But...I 'know' my truck, all the squeaks and rattles. With a new-to-me truck of a year older (1996), I might not know exactly what I'm getting. Outside of maintenance, it might would be a money pit where a bunch of major components break together. So yeah, I hear ya.

Kevin

If you have any other trailer or r.v. related chassis maintenance question by all means talk to me I will try to help.

Good to have someone "in the biz" so to speak.

Any tips on how to adjust the brakes evenly? I know mine pull to one side some.

When I was over in Okinawa, they used to put all vehicles on a brake machine for an annual inspection. The rollers would spin the tires and they would tell you to step on the brakes. If your brakes didn't brake evenly within certain limits, they would fail you and tell you to go get a brake job.

Ian

Last edited:
I have been accused many times of overloading my trailer, and so far havent had any problems. My weak link in the tow area is my tow vehicle, a Dodge Dakota 4wd Crew Cab. I pull a 16 foot trailer with it, and have many times exceeded the 9000lb rating of the trailer for short trips home.
Getting going isnt a problem,its stopping the thing that really gets me nervous. I keep threatening to put brakes on the trailer, but have yet to get around to it. More than once I have had all four wheels locked up tryiing to stop the thing.
Like a lot of idiots on the road, I keep loading until the tires are starting to sag, thinking that, "dang, I only got 6 more rounds, I hate to come back for that"
Of course, I fail to take into account those rounds are 40 inches across, and in themselves are probably more than what my truck is designed to handle.

You are taking a huge chance towing that with no brakes.It makes matters worse that your tow vehicle is inadequete,and very light.I would not tow that trailer on the road at 9000lbs even with my 7500 lb Ram diesel with no brakes.In Ny state,if you got pulled over or in an accident,you'd be cooked.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

attachment.php

You are not over loaded! Build the sides up another 6 feet and fillerup:cheers: You know you overloaded when a tire blows:clap:

P.S. I am joking, I have been a mechanic for over 20 years and have seen the carnage:dizzy: I will have to admit, I do it all the time, but then again I have to fix what I break:cry:

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

I agree I pulled a boat weighed in at 7500# with a Ramcharger 89 and was thankful that the trailer had dual axle brakes numerous times when drivers who do NOT like to be behind trailers cut the haulers off and slam on their brakes. Then they expect you to stop on a dime. On rainy roads the trailer will stop the tow vehicle not the other way around you are just around for the ride.
Brakes are a MUST.

Latest posts

Back