Question about my chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmermike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a wood stove in a room in my barn. The chimney goes out through the wall and up. There is an old eight inch auger tube up about twenty feet. Inside that I put heavy black stove pipe. The problem I'm having the the stove pipe drips black water. I had a plug on the bottom of the tee pipe and it filled with ice and fell off. It now drips and makes ice cicle soot thingies. I nock them off every day or so. I know an insulated chimney would probably solve the problem, but the cost of a twenty five foot class A would be to much. The chimney is always cold but has alot of draft. I'm burning dry wood so I assume its not creosote but just soot that gets warm enough to drip. I've been using this same stove for about eight years but this year put the six inch pipe in as I thought the draft would be better, which it is. Don't get near as many down draft that fill the room with smoke. The black crap that accumulates isn't a big deal but it does smell bad and it's in the area that I split all of my wood. Any Ideas? Thanks for the help.

Steel out in real cold air will always get ice crystals [frost] forming on it. With 2 pipes, you probably have twice as much as would be normal. Every fire, the ice melts, runs down. A one pipe system would work better, I think.

Latest posts

Back