Question about small logs, persimmon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering about lumber milled from small logs vs big, mature logs. Is there any difference? I have a small saw for milling (maybe too small?) but it is big enough to use on most of the blown down trees on my place. Just wondering if the lumber from 10-16" logs is inferior (more prone to warping/cracking, not as durable, etc). In other words, am I wasting my time to mill them and better off to add to the firewood stack? (please say it ain't so!) I have sawn up a couple of small white oaks and am air drying them so it will be quite a while before I see the results.

Also, does anybody have any experience with persimmon? I have a couple blown over that look to be about 10-12". I remember hearing some old guys talk about it when I was a kid, saying that it was so hard that it would make your chain throw sparks. Sounds like a bit of exaggeration to me heh heh. Anyway, how well does it mill and what is the lumber like? These are close to a trail and would be easy for me to get to so I had planned to tackle them as my next project.

thx,
Boom

All you can do is try. It appears from searching that larger trees are preferred for the heartwood, but the sapwood should have many of the characteristics without the dark color.

I'm willing to mill anything once.

Mark

Heh Heh, same here. Regardless of whether it's high grade lumber when I'm done with it, it's getting milled. I have tons of uses for it besides furniture and picture frames...my 9 yr old daughter has already put in an order for a treehouse out back of the cabin. Little does she know that she has signed herself up for a sawmilling/construction job LOL!

milling can just be the beginning

Just wondering about lumber milled from small logs vs big, mature logs. Is there any difference? I have a small saw for milling (maybe too small?) but it is big enough to use on most of the blown down trees on my place. Just wondering if the lumber from 10-16" logs is inferior (more prone to warping/cracking, not as durable, etc). In other words, am I wasting my time to mill them and better off to add to the firewood stack? (please say it ain't so!) I have sawn up a couple of small white oaks and am air drying them so it will be quite a while before I see the results.

thx,
Boom

there is more to milling your wood...to get the best out of what u produce value add to your wood by grading kiln drying and planning....i mill alot of beetlekill pineand spruce which pretty much gets stacked dryed and used for construction with the odd piece getting kiln dryedand planed for small furniture and trim....the i do a bit of fir/ which is ussualy plan sawn and dry stacked for trusses and some gets quarter sawn to be kiln dried for trim...

not much else to cut here but spruce and cedarwich gets cut into anything from tomato sticks to decking and timberframes and the odd popular tree for trim /flooring or wall paneling

all depending on the outcome of the milled wood

i cut the logs to length by there outside characteristics and my experiance....when stuck with precut logs i mill what i have first couple cuts will tell u wether its worth finishing at all

Persimmon is in the same genus as ebony. On the larger older trees the very center can be a black as gabon ebony but the heart wood is generaly a pale grey with streaks or darker grey. It can be strickng when used in contrast with another type of wood. it is hard but not as hard but still dents with a fingernail.

There are a few species of trees that rarely exceed 12" in diameter such as box wood and there are some that are desireable enough that 12" would be worth milling, such as mullberry, or holly and a few others. Try it and see if it is worth it to you.

Latest posts

Back