Question on chain saw bar and chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a common method of attracting the customer's attention when he sees a thick chain and a bar that is too long. The Partner 465 is a 45cc saw and had a 3/8" 0.058" chain 16" bar

Picking back up this older thread of mine I have another question. I'm thinking of a new saw and debating between MS251 and MS271. The 251 would be virtually the same as my MS250 which may be worn out (in the shop and they say 4 weeks). When I started using that 3/16 Forrester wheel shown in post #24 I was getting great results. Will that wheel sharpen the chain on the MS271? It is .0325 pitch .050 vs the MS251 which is .0325 pitch .063. Or will I need a different size wheel and if so what size?

I was just at the dealer looking at a MS261, it's a nice saw, light, powerful, captive bar nuts, not that much plastic compared to farm models, great balance, etc. Maybe look at a PRO level saw, I find they're worth the money due to the increased build quality and long lifespan (which is why they hold their resale value so well).

For a little more weight and less money I found a barely used MS400C--that's an awesome saw. I set one up for @Juliana Wolf and wanted one ever since. PHO, so looking at chain options; 3/8" .063 is not common in Wisconsin, so much so I'm even having a hard time ordering a 100' spool of RSK in 3/8" .063.

--On that, STIHL chain sizes are regional, they try to optimize the size to the local wood and maximize chain life while minimizing overall expense, so it's a balancing act.

Latest posts

Back