Question on sharpening safety chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazurrj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been sharpening chains without the safety link and ok with that.
a freind gave me a chain with the safety link to sharpen, have not done one of those before. What to you do with the safety link as far as filing? or what to you do differnt from full chisel chain?
Did a search but could not find anything on this.

Thanks

Bob

After the teeth are about half used up you have to file down the safety link along with the rakers. These chains are bunk, after its used up replace it with a decent non safety chain. If you are using the saw properly you don't need safety chain. It is really a scam, people use it, when they have to file the safety link as well as the rakers they usually replace it, half used.

Ok thanks, yeah my first saw had one of these chains before i started to sharpen my own, then i got the non safety chains. I guess i'll do nothing with it since its first time it was sharpend and i just touched it up. This was my freinds first saw so when he gets another chain for it i'll mention to him.

Last edited:
safety chain filing

You can readily check if the safety links need filing by laying a straight edge across adjacent teeth and passing a feeler gauge through the space between the straight edge and the humps on the safety links. I usually just grind down the worthless things as soon as the teeth get about half gone. I put the chain on a bar with a small radius nose and use the bar as a handle to hold the link against a disc sander.

I found a really good deal on some safety chains earlier this year so ended up buying 4 of them. After looking at the chains closely and comparing them to some non-safety chains I noticed that the only difference was the addition of the safety link but the profile of the tooth and raker were the same. So in about 5 minutes with my bench grinder the safety links were gone! They work great now.:clap:

Back