Questions about timber co.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I have some questions about having a logging-timber company come cut trees on some property for a client.
What are the pit falls and what should I look for when talking to there representatives?
What would be the base price per board feet for pine and what is the base price for pulp wood.
How do I get them to guaranty to grind the stumps and clean up the brush?

The property is in Lufkin TX.

Thanks Dennis

Hi everyone.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I have some questions about having a logging-timber company come cut trees on some property for a client.
What are the pit falls and what should I look for when talking to there representatives?
What would be the base price per board feet for pine and what is the base price for pulp wood.
How do I get them to guaranty to grind the stumps and clean up the brush?

The property is in Lufkin TX.

Thanks Dennis

First off, if you haven't already done so, you need to have a forester come out to your place and do a timber cruise; that is, an inventory of what you have.

A good forester will be able to refer you to reputable loggers who have successfully completed a master loggers training.

Check the link below for more information and where to look next.

Texas Forest Service

most of the time I can't think of a shadier business than the timber industry. Definately get some help from a professional forester to take care of a CONTRACT for you to make sure you get your worth and the forester will get theirs- get square on their pay and ask them to explain how its to your benefit. The stump grinding, for example, is not typical in a logging operation.

The property will be developed into a retirement community after the trees are removed.
I only want to remove the trees that are going to be where the roads and pad sites will be.
Who or where would be the first place to contact?

You're better off contacting a land clearing company. They will remove all your trees completely and stumps. A land clearing company will fall all of the trees, keep the good logs, chip everything leftover and grind the stumps.

More info is needed on the job, but it sounds like you are gonna have to shell out some money to get the work you want done.

You're better off contacting a land clearing company. They will remove all your trees completely and stumps. A land clearing company will fall all of the trees, keep the good logs, chip everything leftover and grind the stumps.

More info is needed on the job, but it sounds like you are gonna have to shell out some money to get the work you want done.

+1

That doesnt sound like a contract that any logger would be interested in. There just wont be enough wood in it, and the extra clauses you are going to want to add - no damage to remaining trees, stick within the very limited marked areas, grind the stumps etc, are going to add costs to the job that will be higher than the profit that can be realised. Particularly from pine which just isn't worth that much to begin with.

You're probably hoping to get a few dollars out of having your land cleared, but realistically you are going to have to pay someone to do this job.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back