Questions on sc252 vermeer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everybody..

I just got a used vermeer sc252 with a new kohler 27hp motor, i had a shaver sc25 pto grinder but it messed up pto on tractor so i sold it and went to the sc252..

I did not get a manual with grinder so i have a few questions, i have registered grinder with vermeer and they are suppossed to send me a manual..

Grinder has the 1/2 inch sq teeth, i put new ones on but i don't know what to torq the bolts to, i have them set at 1 inch past the pockets, i hope that is right or close, i don't know how old the machine is but it had a 25 hp engine b4 changed to the 27,,,currently 858 hrs if meter is accurate...

I am semi retired and have been grinding stumps since retiring at age 64, am now 69 and still going LOL...

I just hope i won't be disappointed with grinder, my shaver did thousands of stumps, i am concerned with the difference in size power etc, i know it won't be as fast as the shaver, have some jobs lined up but need to get the teeth bolts torqued in right...

Inspected belts, they looked ok...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thinking about going to the yellow jacket teeth or to the pro teeth if not too expensive...

Thx in advance..

Bob

one question ans

Well just did a search and torq setting looks like 250 ft lbs, wow would never have thought it to be that high, going to be tough for an old man LOL...

But would still like some thoughts on switching over to greenteeth or yellow jacket system, will be doing some stumps friday, will post the results..

Thx much..

Bob...

I am just starting out on a vermeer 222 and from all the post I have read that greenteeth are more productive, but can be harder on bearings. So not sure which is more important, being easier on the bearings, or higher productivity.

but that is not from personal experiance, so take it for what it is worth :monkey:

I have Greenteeth on my Rayco 1631, and i have no problems with the bearings. The Greenteeth cut much easier and when the original Rayco tooth is hammering the material of, the greenteeth is cutting it off - as i see it that must be an advantage in greenteeths favor. It is correct that greenteeth has a tendency to drag the machine into the stump when they are brand new, but with a little attention this won't be a problem.

I'm very satisfied with my greenteeth setup and recommend it.

Kind regards
Johnny

I have Greenteeth on my Rayco 1631, and i have no problems with the bearings. The Greenteeth cut much easier and when the original Rayco tooth is hammering the material of, the greenteeth is cutting it off - as i see it that must be an advantage in greenteeths favor. It is correct that greenteeth has a tendency to drag the machine into the stump when they are brand new, but with a little attention this won't be a problem.

I'm very satisfied with my greenteeth setup and recommend it.

Kind regards
Johnny

Thx for the info, going to the greenteeth or yellow jackets as soon as i get
moneys worth out of the new square teeth i put on..greenteeth are a
little cheaper, priced the yellow jackets at the dealer...

Going to the dealer today, after closer inspection of the belts, the main belt that drives the wheel is in really bad shape underneath, a lot of teeth gone and flat spots, i am surprised it worked at all on the first stumps i did, the jackbelts are in good shape...

Another member in another thread told me how to gauge the belts so i should not have a problem changing them out, allready have the old belt off, going to take it with me just to be on the safe side, its a long way to the closest vermeer dealer so can't afford any dry runs..

Thx again for the help.:clap::clap:

Bob...

Back