quieten a 5 hp. tecumseh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guys any of you had any success quieting down one of these engines, mine sits right beside me and even with ear plugs its really loud..
if youve had success please post how you cured it and how much of a reduction you gained...
also if I would pipe the muffler back away from me how far can I extend a newer muffler w/o hurting engine performace??

I posted the same question recently. I had the same engine on my Northern Splitter. One guy had the suggestion to add a muffler and place it in a bucket of water to muffle the droning. Do a search, you will find it.

I changed my engine and pump out to a Honda 8hp electric start and a 16GPM pump hoping it would be quieter. I think it is but have not split anything as my 4 cord of rounds are still under two plus feet of snow.

If I hadn't done the upgrade, I would have done the bucket thing.

... I bet my 10 Hp Tecumseh is twice as loud as your 5 hp one....

Coleman generator with an HM100-series engine. I did put a better muffler on it and it helped a lot, but that danged engine is just loud even without the exhaust noise.

Steve

Get a 10' piece of metal flex line.
Weld a flange on one end that will bolt to your exhaust manifold.
Weld a muffler from a 150cc dirt bike on the other end.

Now you can have your exhaust "over there" instead of under your nose. :hmm3grin2orange:

Let me know how it works out,
Ian

that supertrapp quiet muffler from jacks small engines about works really well. Mines on a 13hp honda generator and it made a big difference. Kinda pricey, but worked out really well.

Supertrap-the company that makes/made motorcycle exhausts? they sure look the same. Might be able to go through Dennis Kirk, or BikeBandit, or someone like that. probably not much price savings though and the kits may be made to fit the small engines.

Latest posts

Back