Raccoon incident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cutting some wood at sis in laws for her to burn in their fireplace. She wanted some sugar maples that were dead in the woods taken down. Second one I dropped was about 20" or so and pretty rotted, got it down on the ground ok about 8' up from the base she broke in half so hollow.
Anyhow, got to blocking it up after about four chunks cut blood starts pouring off the bar w/ it buried in this ole maple. First thought was holy hell i just cut myself...quick look and didn't see any blood on me except the splatters from the chain coated in blood. Quickly realized that this tree was a poor raccoons home.
Wish i would have had my camera w/ me. Poor guy didn't know what hit him...right across the middle of his back.
Anyone else inadvertantly took out an animal w/ their saw?

Had a flying squirrel jump out of the tree i was cutting, on to another then jumped on to the back of my neck, scratching as it hit and grabbed.

About the time it hit the ground, a firewood friend of mine started chasing it, right up my leg and under my coat making a couple laps.

I had that coat off so fast, might has soiled myself a little?

We did catch the squirrel and it was a fantastic pet for my friends kids, it even went to school with them and they had a cage set up in class.

I was not it's biggest fan, as there 'evil' and best with potatoes and a side of carrots!

Had a flying squirrel jump out of the tree i was cutting, on to another then jumped on to the back of my neck, scratching as it hit and grabbed.

About the time it hit the ground, a firewood friend of mine started chasing it, right up my leg and under my coat making a couple laps.

I had that coat off so fast, might has soiled myself a little?

We did catch the squirrel and it was a fantastic pet for my friends kids, it even went to school with them and they had a cage set up in class.

I was not it's biggest fan, as there 'evil' and best with potatoes and a side of carrots!

I bet that Ray Stevens could make a song out of that one. LOL

I was shocked that it hadn't as well...he was in the upper section that broke away from main trunk when the tree dropped.
Didn't Ray Stevens sing something about a squirrel/church/skirt?

Cut into a low hollow spot falling a tree and got a raccoon . Poor thing was still alive when the tree fell and exosed him. Not pretty nor was my bar. Looked like he tried fighting it. I had to finish him off.
Fell a large tree in a woods, the top half was dead. Went between 2 large live trees into their branches which sprung back breaking the dead top half of the tree falling, off, slingshotting it back at me. I had a tall natural stump by me and I ducked behind it and the whole treetop hit around me. When I come out a raccoon was laying kicking near the break and I went and knelt by him thinking I was watching him die. I saw his eyes rolling around in his head and he stopped kicking,his eyes stopped rolling, opened up very wide and looked at me for about 3 seconds , then he run like the wind.
When I was young I used to climb up to coon dens and sometimes I would try to poke them out to get them to young coon dogs for a lessen in fighting. Many coons , especially in winter were very hard to get to move.

I guess I am the 2nd one to say flying squirrel, Was about 10-15 years ago. He didn`t land on me though ! LOL just on the tree next to me. Was the first and only time I`v ever seen one. Probably cause there noctornal creatures. Little fellers with big eyes. I guess as a rule, if there is an obvious den tree, I`ll let them stand. There are a few here where I cut that I know hold racoons. Cutting into one of those doesn`t sound like fun..

Gregg

Cutting some wood at sis in laws for her to burn in their fireplace. She wanted some sugar maples that were dead in the woods taken down. Second one I dropped was about 20" or so and pretty rotted, got it down on the ground ok about 8' up from the base she broke in half so hollow.
Anyhow, got to blocking it up after about four chunks cut blood starts pouring off the bar w/ it buried in this ole maple. First thought was holy hell i just cut myself...quick look and didn't see any blood on me except the splatters from the chain coated in blood. Quickly realized that this tree was a poor raccoons home.
Wish i would have had my camera w/ me. Poor guy didn't know what hit him...right across the middle of his back.
Anyone else inadvertantly took out an animal w/ their saw?

Unbelieveable! They can be very stubborn though. I had one crawl into the eves between my deck (second floor) and the porch roofline and she was a serious pain too get out of there. Every day I'd beat on porch roof with a broomstick and could here her scuffle around but not out. I tried amonia, nothing worked so I finally had too dispatch with my Ruger 10/22 at dusk one night as she was preparing too go out. Didn't want too but ran out of options.

We were finishing out our last tree of the year in a snow storm last year and as I cut into a hollowed out top I saw a puff of red. I shut the saw off and hollered at my ground guy that "I think I just cut into a coon" He looked up with the same look my algebra teacher used to give me and he pointed to the dangling end of the red stable braid that I'd just cut in two.
Phil

Yep... Coons see the bad end of my 17HMR. Never cut into anything inside a tree except a big old bee nest. Got into a big maple about 8 inches and felt one sting the back of my neck, then another on my arm, then a whole ####load of em... Counted 74 stings, and I'm sure there were more than that. Had a beekeeper come in and smoke them for a few hours, then he set up his fake nest next to it with some crap in it. Within 3 days the tree was empty and we finished dropping it after he moved the thing.

The nest was a PITA to me, but it was priceless to him since half his hives got wasted from the CCD.

Latest posts

Back