Ran a 390XP today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Guy I work with is a Husky nut so I get to run them allmost daily.He got a new 390 last week and I got to try it out today. Only ran for about a tank and a half at the end of the day we were discussing what I thought of it and while looking at the air cleaner noticed.......

Very clean as I exspected since not much cutting.What I didn't like was when I took it off and looked down into the carb flange it had a lot of saw dust inside it.Seems to fit nice and tight with no noticible burrs that would create a gap.

What gives? Do these filters just not stop the fine dust? Have not seen this with his other saws.

Guy I work with is a Husky nut so I get to run them allmost daily.He got a new 390 last week and I got to try it out today. Only ran for about a tank and a half at the end of the day we were discussing what I thought of it and while looking at the air cleaner noticed.......

Very clean as I exspected since not much cutting.What I didn't like was when I took it off and looked down into the carb flange it had a lot of saw dust inside it.Seems to fit nice and tight with no noticible burrs that would create a gap.

What gives? Do these filters just not stop the fine dust? Have not seen this with his other saws.

Never had that problem with mine....

What did you think of how it ran? How does it compare to a 650 or 660?

Or 7900?

Iv'e never ran either of those,all mine are old school. I liked how it felt,normally run a 262 all day so I was exspecting quite a differance.

Definatly have to hang on a little better.

And maybe I shouldn't have said a lot of dust, but it was enough to cover the end of my finger to the first nuckle.Still a lot for just one tank of fuel I would think

What did you think of how it ran? How does it compare to a 650 or 660?

Or 7900?

My 385 is right behind my DP 066 when the 24" bar is fully buried. But in 16" stuff the 385 will pass it up. We'll see how it does against the 660. I got to break the 385 in a little more, then I'm going to DP the muffler on it. Then we'll see. I'd say it prolly will still be slightly behind my 066 though.:greenchainsaw: :clap: :) :chainsaw:

Turned out to be a very small ridge on filter adapter where the molds come together and flaw at the weep hole in mold.

New one was better but was about the same at the weep hole spot.
Trimmed it a bit with an exacto knife and it seals fine now.

A neat trick to poor fitting filters is to use some RTV to seal them.

Apply just a small amount where the poor fitting parts come together.

Use a generous amount of car paste wax as a release agent on the bottom of the filter. Push the parts together, don't worry about wiping off any excess RTV. Let it set up and you are good to go.

It is very important to keep as much debris as possible out of the engine. The piston ring and bore life is DIRECTLY effected by how much dust and dirt they ingest.

Just a side note, the micro-screen type may let in just a bit more very fine dust compared to paper elements.....Cliff

What?? There can actually be air filtration issues with the super-duper, Air Injection on a Husky? Say it isn't so. I guess that blows it for me, I was lead to believe a Husky could live and breath running inside a mountain of saw dust now I hear we must RTV the carb mouth to filter interface. Hmmmmmmmm......................................:monkey: :hmm3grin2orange:

It ain't a perfect world. Sometimes we must take the needed steps to make sure our equipment only gets a clean supply of fresh air, and not a bunch of saw dust, wood chips and other debri.

Some companies have much better set-ups than others when it comes to air filtration, and tighter fitting parts. If you see a considerable amount of material getting by the filter, it pays to find out why and correct the troubles....FWIW.....Cliff

Oh, I was just stick pokin'. No harm, no foul.

The Husky-tails like to poke at the Stihlheads about filtration endlessly, it was just too inviting not to play. I have a couple token orange saws too, they're fine machines. But you're right, no manufacturer's air filtration system is perfect.

Back