Rancher 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodpierre

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Getting ready to attempt a restore on my Grandpa's old Rancher 61 Practica that he bought in the late seventies. The cylinder is badly scored. I have been looking at replacement cylinder kits wondered about these two

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cylinder-piston-kit-for-Husqvarna-61-NEW_W0QQitemZ330247220968QQihZ014QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/PISTON-CYLINDER-ASSEMBLY-4-HUSQVARNA-61-503532071_W0QQitemZ130068572507QQihZ003QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody have experience with them? Just wondering why the price difference if they are both indeed from the same aftermarket company.

One more thing. From my understanding the Practica was a cheaper version of the Rancher 61, which was a cheaper version of a 61. As such it does not have a chain brake on it. I would like to use this saw when I get it running but I consider a chain brake to be a must have. Anybody know of in aftermarket setup for this thing? i was thinking a guy could go ahead and maybe swap in a setup off of a newer 61. Would that work?

Hi, and welcome! There are some guys here with more experieince who can probably tell you better, but I don't think there's all that much difference among the different 61s.. good saws, one and all. The differences are fairly minor.

From the standpoint of parts (especially a bolt-on part like a chainbrake) you're fortunate its a 61. You can snag a brake off anything that shares the same case... such as a 66, 266, 272, 268 and all their variants. There are lots of these saws around, and a chainbrake should not be hard to find. I am NOT aware of an aftermarket unit, but maybe someone else is. A chainbrake off a 254, 257, 261, or 262 will not fit.

I can't comment on the P/C units you're considering, but I can tell you that many of these guys have liked the Tecomec units.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome! There are some guys here with more experieince who can probably tell you better, but I don't think there's all that much difference among the different 61s.. good saws, one and all. The differences are fairly minor.

From the standpoint of parts (especially a bolt-on part like a chainbrake) you're fortunate its a 61. You can snag a brake off anything that shares the same case... such as a 66, 266, 272, 268 and all their variants. There are lots of these saws around, and a chainbrake should not be hard to find. I am NOT aware of an aftermarket unit, but maybe someone else is. A chainbrake off a 254, 257, 261, or 262 will not fit.

I can't comment on the P/C units you're considering, but I can tell you that many of these guys have liked the Tecomec units.

I got an aftermarket clutch cover/brake off ebay for my 266 and it seems to be a good quality item at a good price.

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to attempt a restore on my Grandpa's old Rancher 61 Practica that he bought in the late seventies. The cylinder is badly scored. I have been looking at replacement cylinder kits wondered about these two

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cylinder-piston-kit-for-Husqvarna-61-NEW_W0QQitemZ330247220968QQihZ014QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/PISTON-CYLINDER-ASSEMBLY-4-HUSQVARNA-61-503532071_W0QQitemZ130068572507QQihZ003QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody have experience with them? Just wondering why the price difference if they are both indeed from the same aftermarket company.

One more thing. From my understanding the Practica was a cheaper version of the Rancher 61, which was a cheaper version of a 61. As such it does not have a chain brake on it. I would like to use this saw when I get it running but I consider a chain brake to be a must have. Anybody know of in aftermarket setup for this thing? i was thinking a guy could go ahead and maybe swap in a setup off of a newer 61. Would that work?

They all used the same cylinder/piston/carburetor on the same case...so I do not see any difference between them....just Husqvarna's marketing ....

I do not have any experience with the two aftermarket kits you are looking at but I think Lucas offers a 30 day guarantee and it is half the price as the other ...if it is not shown in the auction... ask him if he will give you the 30 day guarantee.

Maybe you will keep us up to date on the progress..

Regarding the price difference...Husqvarna will charge you around $250 for a kit that will do the same thing as the other two that you are looking at on Ebay....

I have purchased kits from both these sellers and had great success with them,no issues at all. The kit from little red barn looks like an oem one I got a year back for a 266SE. You could email him and ask as it is not stated in the listing ,the price is close to an OEM one from the Husky dealer here.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back