Rant: Why don't they list the WIDTH on piston rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently had a case where re-ringing a Husqvarna 281xp seemed like a good idea (110# compression). So I ordered a Caber 42mm OD x 1.5mm thick ring. This is according to spec, what the saw needs.

So I got it and the piston will not go into the cylinder with this ring. Looking at it before I put it in the saw it was about 30% wider than the old ring. By width, I mean picture 2 concentric circles... The ID to OD difference is the width of the ring. I figured, my old ring is well worn and that was why it was so different. But no, it's clearly too wide to fit down into the cylinder.

So: this leads me to believe that WIDTH should also be listed in ring specs. Why don't they list that spec? Maybe they do (in MFGs docs) but I sure don't see it in most seller descriptions.

This is a real Caber ring (not china). I was thinking it was just listed as specs (52x1.5mm). But my saw model was also listed in the description. The seller says it should fit.

I will clean the groove until spotless and try again. I did clean it as much as I usually do. But I will get it spotless and see what happens.

This is a real Caber ring (not china). I was thinking it was just listed as specs (52x1.5mm). But my saw model was also listed in the description. The seller says it should fit.

I will clean the groove until spotless and try again. I did clean it as much as I usually do. But I will get it spotless and see what happens.

Get out your calipers and measure up the old vs new rings.

If you snap off an old ring that makes a good scraper to clean the groove

I recently had a case where re-ringing a Husqvarna 281xp seemed like a good idea (110# compression). So I ordered a Caber 42mm OD x 1.5mm thick ring. This is according to spec, what the saw needs.

So I got it and the piston will not go into the cylinder with this ring. Looking at it before I put it in the saw it was about 30% wider than the old ring. By width, I mean picture 2 concentric circles... The ID to OD difference is the width of the ring. I figured, my old ring is well worn and that was why it was so different. But no, it's clearly too wide to fit down into the cylinder.

So: this leads me to believe that WIDTH should also be listed in ring specs. Why don't they list that spec? Maybe they do (in MFGs docs) but I sure don't see it in most seller descriptions.

42mm rings should drop into the cylinder real easy like, but be a ***** to get on the piston. :laugh:
You sure the seller shipped you the rings you thought you ordered?
Forget the piston and show us a photo of the thicker rings you were sold sitting in the cylinder with the ends overlapping.
What size cylinder and piston do you have- hard to fit D sized rings into an A sized piston & cylinder.
They do list the "thickness" of the rings- by alphabetical reference- replacement are usually A-B sized.

Problem solved. It's about a perfect fit so I had to make sure I got every last spec of carbon out of the ring groove. Slipped right in after that.

Unfortunately, I ordered a chinese P/C to make this saw a 288xp and since the ring didn't fit initially, I installed that thing. Doesn't seem to run well. Will idle but won't rev. I may have other problems with fuel delivery (not sure) but it ran good on the worn OEM 281 P/C. May have to put that back on.

Problem solved. It's about a perfect fit so I had to make sure I got every last spec of carbon out of the ring groove. Slipped right in after that.

Unfortunately, I ordered a chinese P/C to make this saw a 288xp and since the ring didn't fit initially, I installed that thing. Doesn't seem to run well. Will idle but won't rev. I may have other problems with fuel delivery (not sure) but it ran good on the worn OEM 281 P/C. May have to put that back on.
Ya I got one of those in a box brought in for me to rebuild his 288.... 288 rebuilt and that P&C can stay in the box... was rebuilt with a good oem and a Meteor piston.

Ya I got one of those in a box brought in for me to rebuild his 288.... 288 rebuilt and that P&C can stay in the box... was rebuilt with a good oem and a Meteor piston.

In this case, I think it's the carb. I didn't have new gaskets and just went with what I had. It had a horible air leak at the intake mouth so I pulled the intake pieces and smeared a dab of sealant on all existing gaskets. I'm not sure I didn't plug one of the impulse holes. I ordered a set of gaskets and am going to try the 288 cylinder and piston once more. It reads 120# compression with 0.030" squish. I'm not sure that's great for a 288.

Back