Rattle inside saw? Non-running Olympyk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just received an olympyk 264f Deluxe in the mail. The saw has something rattling around inside it. I have not yet started it. I have the gas tank open and the filter hanging out. I've opened the oil reservoir and don't see anything in there.(is there something in there like the fuel filter in the gas tank which could move?) I have the chain cover and the rewinder off and don't see anything on either side. I don't hear very well, but rattle seems to be coming from the gas tank.
Is there something in the saw that should be moving as I tip the saw from side to side? I'm worried there could be something in the crankcase, but what could be in there? The saw turns over fine.
I've never had a saw apart, so I don't know where else anything could be hiding. There is a large plastic thing sitting above the carb with a hose running down toward the gas tank. I don't think anything is in there because I can sort of see through it, but what is that thing?

The packaging was really lame on this saw and I'm worried something could be broken.
Thanks guys
James

I I've opened the oil reservoir and don't see anything in there.(is there something in there like the fuel filter in the gas tank which could move?)

Not familiar with the 264F, but it likely has an oil pick-up tube with a weighted screen type filter...probably your culprit.

I found the culprit

I did see a screen, I'll go see if I can get it to move.
James

The oil screen I was seeing is actually cast in place. However, I found a piece of metal in the gas tank. I don't think it is even part of the saw so I should be good to go. Thanks
James

Latest posts

Back