Re-tuning for different octane and fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to run premium in my '07 flex-fuel Silverado, especially when I tow. The thing will knock itself to pieces on 87. According to the owner's manual, 87 is all she needs! So much for computers and knock sensors. 🙄

One time I had to do 50 mph on the highway until I got to a gas station to mix some premium in, when I let my wife drive it, and she filled it with the cheap stuff. It was BAD. If I had an iPhone back then, it would've picked the sound up for sure. I couldn't give it more than 1/4 throttle, or it sounded like rocks in a cement mixer. 😬

Only 125k on it now, but it'll be getting rebuilt this summer. I'll be bolting on a supercharger, and I don't trust this engine and the crap AFM system as it is. All that will be gone. Forged pistons will make me cringe less on crappy fuel. Plus the 20 or so potential oil leaks inside the 5.3 will be plugged up.
if you got it used i would suspect it was poorly flash tuned, has the wrong fuel/ignition maps or you have pre ignition caused by faulty map/baro/ incorrect, worn plugs, variable cam gear issues, wrong pcm, faulty cam/crank sensor or they are not synced. AFM can be permanently tuned out and there are simple obd2 port plug options to turn it off if it is still functional and it will never be a issue or you can spend bigger to manually delete and tune it out.

Back