Ready to be addicted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim K

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this is my first post. Been learning from all the informative information for the last few weeks and now ready to get fully addicted. I’ve been cutting trees since the 70’s for furnace wood and lumber for my own personal use, but have always contracted the lumber milling to portable bandsaw mill operators near my farm in SW Michigan. I recently purchased a 24” Alaskan Mill off Craig’s List and plan to hook it up to my 056AV with a 25” bar. I plan to learn by milling some 20”-24” basswood and cottonwood logs. I’m assuming the 056AV will be adequate for the task. I will order ripping chain (.375x.050) this week. Will probably purchase from Bailey (or any other suggestion?) I’m sure I will have a lot of questions in the next few weeks, but will to a “Search” first before I ask any dumb questions, or questions that have been beaten to death.

Jim K

Well, this is my first post. Been learning from all the informative information for the last few weeks and now ready to get fully addicted. I’ve been cutting trees since the 70’s for furnace wood and lumber for my own personal use, but have always contracted the lumber milling to portable bandsaw mill operators near my farm in SW Michigan. I recently purchased a 24” Alaskan Mill off Craig’s List and plan to hook it up to my 056AV with a 25” bar. I plan to learn by milling some 20”-24” basswood and cottonwood logs. I’m assuming the 056AV will be adequate for the task. I will order ripping chain (.375x.050) this week. Will probably purchase from Bailey (or any other suggestion?) I’m sure I will have a lot of questions in the next few weeks, but will to a “Search” first before I ask any dumb questions, or questions that have been beaten to death.

Jim K

Welcome aboard Jim,

The people on this site are a wealth of information. I'm currently building my first mill and have gotten many useful suggestions from the members. Have fun with your new mill and post some pictures of what you cut.

jerry-

Hi Jim, welcome to AS, let the addiction begin,lol.
I love to use basswood for relief carvings but it seems to be a PITA to mill with my CSM, lots of fine sawdust. :hmm3grin2orange:

Jim, a 056 is plenty big enough for most "average" milling jobs. I use Oregon R or D ripping chain(73RD, 73RA) You can also use DG or Dj crosscut chain & re-file to ripping specs. A file guide or grinder is really helpfull in keeping the chain at the right angles. Milling definatly will show you quickly if something is not exactly right. I free hand file my firewood saws, but increasing use a guide for the mill. Oh, i also use cheap motor oil for bar lub...not reg bar lube used in cross cutting. It was recommended by the builder of my mill & i have found it works better. Enjoy!
RD

Welcome Jim... this place is a wealth of info for your new found life :clap:

Baileys ripping chain is a good start. For that size bar, 056 will do the job. I've milled 32 inch stuff with an 046, just had to go real easy on the wide hard stuff. :cheers:

Back