Recommend Repair Parts Distributor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am the equipment maintainer and rebuilder for a state wide trail organization. When completed the trail will run over 1100 miles. We currently have about 20 task forces spread across the state building and maintaining trail. Here is the website if you would like to know more: https://mountainstoseatrail.org/

We lost our previous source of parts last year, a local Ebay seller, to the old folks home. So now I am considering if we should open an account with a parts distributor just like a repair shop would. Unfortunately our volumes wouldn't be quite that high but we would make several substantial sized orders throughout the year. The main manufacturers that we would like access to would be :

Oregon - saw chains, bars, weedeater/ brushcutter blades, sharpening tools.
Walbro carbs and kits
Zama carbs and kits
Occasional Stens or other AM tools, parts, and accessories.
Tsumura bars if available

Our equipment is almost exclusively Stihl because that is what is universally available in the state, almost a monopoly except for the big box stores with their homeowner equipment which generally is not rugged enough for our use.

For the Stihl parts we will probably rely on a local John Deere dealer or Northern Tool as they seem to be more price competitive than the local dealers. I would like to continue buying through the Ohio distributor but don't get up there very often any more and they can't ship. :(

Your thoughts for some distributors to check out?
@Philbert
@PV Hiker

Thanks,
Steve

ArcherPlus can hook you up with chains, tsumura bars, files, grinders...etc
+1 Reach out to them, explain your situation, and maybe discuss expected volumes. Archer Plus is both a retailer and a wholesaler. Most dealers will offer some type of consideration if you buy a certain $ volume; or buy in the same stock unit quantities that they order in; and / or if you give them some advance notice - they might get certain volume discounts at certain times of the year, and save on their shipping costs, which they can pass on to you.

Same thing with online vendors like Bailey's.

Up here, the regional STIHL distributor offers discounts (15 - 20% ?) on saws and some equipment for 501(C)3 registered non-profit organizations, purchased through their dealers. Check into that with your preferred dealer, and look at establishing a new relationship if the 'old' one is too far away. Don't be afraid to 'shop around' a little - that relationship can be very helpful when you need other types of dealer assistance as well. It may be better to support them than ordering stuff from aftermarket vendors.

Philbert

yeah a good relationship with a stable vendor would be a great way to go. Especially considering special requests, help finding stuff, etc.

For quick-turn things especially if they need to be drop-shipped around the state to your Org members, and if you know exactly what you need and need to shop quick, the eeevil Amazon is hard to beat.

Hey @SteveSr , great advice provided above. I'm not much help as we are a 4 chainsaw organization, though want them to buy another. When I look at the chainsaws to fix them I go locally to 3 different places. I buy the part and then provide receipts to get reimbursed. Since the organization benefits from volunteer hours, I consider my time a donation working on the chainsaws as is building and maintaining trails.

Some sawyers own their own chainsaws and crosscut saws like me to use on the trails.

Here is one that was emailed to me this morning for next week. Tree is easy, it the miles round trip that is the work. The stihl 440 needs some trigger time...
2.jpg

sweet. i've spent a bit of time around Reno and Carson City, beautiful country around there. all my saws would need a big re-tune if I moved out there! I'm at 775 ft elevation

Hey @SteveSr , great advice provided above. I'm not much help as we are a 4 chainsaw organization, though want them to buy another. When I look at the chainsaws to fix them I go locally to 3 different places. I buy the part and then provide receipts to get reimbursed. Since the organization benefits from volunteer hours, I consider my time a donation working on the chainsaws as is building and maintaining trails.

Some sawyers own their own chainsaws and crosscut saws like me to use on the trails.

Here is one that was emailed to me this morning for next week. Tree is easy, it the miles round trip that is the work. The stihl 440 needs some trigger time...
View attachment 838667
Although I can't tell the diameter of this from the photo. I try to avoid carrying anything bigger than my MS260 with a 16" bar on it out into the field. If I need something bigger I try to find a young Sherpa to carry it and/or a shortcut!

Do I get a bigger discount if I have one? ;)
No, when I closed my shop, they kept my account open, kept all of my accounts active. Of course I haven't ordered for a few years, but the discount was the same, and I have sent several their way.
Give them a call on Monday, and check. They are good folks.

No, when I closed my shop, they kept my account open, kept all of my accounts active. Of course I haven't ordered for a few years, but the discount was the same, and I have sent several their way.
Give them a call on Monday, and check. They are good folks.
Actually we do have a tax number. I am also pretty sure that my local Ebay source was using RBI for at least one of his suppliers as I think that some of the boxes and envelopes that my orders came in had RBI labels on them. Will give them a call next week.

Latest posts

Back