Rhododendron thinning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Some of my woodland has real thick Rhododendron areas. Due to deer overbrowsing I have little or no regrowth as it is.
The Rhododendron is beautiful when flowing, but is really clogging up the understory.
I'd like to thin out or completely remove the Rhododendron to promote more regeneration.
Should I just cut it down low and make brushpiles?
Is Rhododendron good firewood? I keep reading about it being poisenous.
N.W New Jersey

goals

Regeneration of hardwoods. Bring back some deer. I cut alot of firewood, but hopefully will have a timber sale some day.
The deer have over-browsed the woods, now they are getting rare. The understory has little or no regrowth. Invasive plants are spreading. Japanese barberry, Rhododendron are really clogging the land. Ferns are also spreading.

Rhododendron

I didn't know the Rhododendron has any marketable value.

I don't know about that either. I want them for myself. Of course depends on where in nw jersey you are. But I thought, if they a nice, I could take some and
and leave you a pile of dead wood for your fireplace. So, yes, rhododendron is good firewood.

Rhodo's

Rhodo's are very hard wood and can be used for wedges for splitting lumbar...

They will copice and pollard well and transplant well in the right conditions...

They are good firewood if properly seasoned...

I learnt to prune on Rhodo's over 25 years ago...

Please consider treeseers question as the ecology of the area will be upset if you dont consider the affect of removing so much under/mid story...

Back