Roadkill - woodburner style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2: I couldn't believe the first winter I had my OWB that I was running out of dry seasoned wood and I used some green ash and it took right off on a hot bed of coals. Nice heat

Kyle

Excellent! I had looked at ash as a possibility, but thought I'd ask the experts. I hear it's good burning wood. Guess I'll find out in a year or so...

Wish I could find a way to contact the owner of the property. It's just woods, no house anywhere within a few miles.

Go to city hall/county records,its public information,you might have to pay a couple bucks to photocopy the township maps,theres owner and acrerage on the maps. :smoking:

you will like ash it's easy to split by hand, grab as much as you can it burn's good

i would rather use a 6# maul or wedged axe to split ash it's faster than log spliter,,,,,,to me

husky, I'm with you on manual splitting being faster than a hydraulic splitter with Ash. Nothing like seeing a 18" log explode when the maul hits it. I actually look forward to it. Impresses the neighbors too.

I've heard the choice wood for baseball bats is now sugar maple. Much less tendency to split.

husky, I'm with you on manual splitting being faster than a hydraulic splitter with Ash. Nothing like seeing a 18" log explode when the maul hits it. I actually look forward to it. Impresses the neighbors too.

I've heard the choice wood for baseball bats is now sugar maple. Much less tendency to split.
Here's a special toolbox I made using dry ash logs that I split last year and resawed using my bandsaw and table saw:
SandPaperBox1.jpg

It holds all my sandpaper for the random orbit sander:
SandPaperBox2.jpg

Each tray pulls out so that you can load the paper right onto the sander pad:
SandPaperBox5.jpg

That's beautiful wood, and workmanship! :clap:

You make me think about that nice, straight log that's still laying there.

Must... not.... think.... about... millling...... ARRRGGGGGHH!

;)

That's beautiful wood, and workmanship! :clap:

You make me think about that nice, straight log that's still laying there.

Must... not.... think.... about... millling...... ARRRGGGGGHH!

;)

Thanks for the laugh. I'll take a looksee to check if there's any kryptonite I can convert to code and PM you. :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW, awesome workmanship!

Last edited:
Thanks for the laugh. I'll take a looksee to check if there's any kryptonite I can convert to code and PM you. :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW, awesome workmanship!
The way I look at it, Mark has enough ash out there in that pile to make about 100 of these tool boxes. What's nice is that he can use short stock to make it all. These can be planed on a thickness planer after he gets them cut. The sides, bottom and top of my box are about 7/16" thick. No plywood was used anywhere.

Now, where we? Cutting "roadkill" ash for firewood? ;)

Latest posts

Back