Root collar excavation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rar123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently had an arborist come out to check our trees for pruning. It has turned into needing root collar excavation, and a much pricier job than we were expecting. I have called another arborist for a 2nd opinion, but he has rescheduled a couple times. Meanwhile, the other guy is asking us for updates and if we want to do the work. I hate the leave him waiting, but I also know nothing about trees. After researching some, I do agree that we have girlding roots, but don't know what a reasonable cost is to fix the issue. I don't know of any neighbors that have had this done to compare our estimate to. What would all say we can expect to pay for root collar excavation? Or is it even possible to give an estimate without seeing the tree? The tress are about 7 inches in diameter.

2 7" trees

Compressor rental for the day is $160. Excavation and root pruning, then clean up for those trees, probably two hours on site max. $550-$600.
I would be trying to fit other jobs in for the day, being it’s a full day compressor rental. If that was the case I could be more competitive on the price.

The are both autumn blaze maples. We were told they were planted incorrectly.

Attachments

• IMG_6594.JPG
    IMG_6594.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6597.JPG
    IMG_6597.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
The are both autumn blaze maples. We were told they were planted incorrectly.

Typical Maples, planted too deep.
They probably could be excavated with hand tools and girdling roots cut.
That being said, to get down to the primary root zone (secondary is above) an air spade would be helpful.

Back