"round vs. chisel" the numbers are in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawworld

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i ran some of my round filed competition chain against some of my chisel competition designed chain and found the following results.
the saw was a stock 372xp but power tuned carb running an 8 tooth rim and 16" bar.
the wood was 8x8 tulip.
three seperate cuts were made for each chain and the times are recorded.
chisel filed: 2.53, 2.69 and 2.62
round filed: 2.84, 2.88 and 2.81
the round filed chain won many events last year and the chisel filed needs more work. caught me by surprise. marty

This is exactly why I love unrestricted racing. The knowledge gained by people racing can often be translated into the real world. As I look at these numbers (BTW thank you chainsawworld) I noticed that square file is faster. :rolleyes: big deal, we already knew that. What is interesting however, is how big or how small that differance is. 8% in the world of finance is huge, in the world of racing it's even bigger, but what about cutting on the landing? When I look at equipment and performance; at the end of the day it's all about what got done, in what amount of time and at what expense. Can I justify the expense of performance at the end of the day (chains, grinders, stones and time). For the guy racing? Most definately. For the back yard pruner? I would have to say no. The professional logger getting scale? You bet. How about the guy just cutting fire wood? Well that would depend on what his time is worth to him. How much wood does he or she cut? Is the wood clean? Now for the sake of curiosity; I would like to know how these chains stack up to one another in "other conditions" Let's say a 100 cut in clean wood and 100 cuts in skiddered wood. Does the durability of the round filed chain make up for the speed of a square filed chain, if so at what point? Again, thanks chainsawworld for taking the time to do this and to post the #'s.

chainsawworld said:
the round filed chain won many events last year
Where? I did 25 shows last year and can't remember a guy named Marty being at any of them. Are these some of those backyard GTG?

What about the "down" sharpening time when comparing the two chains, both in the field by hand, and when using grinders? If there is a difference, this should fit into the equation, especially for loggers getting scale.

never heard of 'em are they good shows, any real competition? How about other events such as chopping and handsawing?

Thats why I run full skip chisel, more speed less teeth to file. Either one in dirty conditions will need filing. But I know in dirty conditions the round file will go longer.

sorry chopwood, i missed something there. i was talking about stock saw.
the way it looks to me, the square file may be easier in the woods once you get the hang of it. a little more forgiving when you hit something, easier to get the point back. i am still in the learning stage of square file. i remember the first time i saw bill lindloff doing it. i thought something was wrong with him, pushing the file the wrong way.
there is a drastic differance in file cost and availability. chisel files are more expensive and do not seem to last as long. marty

IMO, once you get used to it, round or square filing takes the same amount of time. I grind at home and file in the woods only on wood dull chain. If a chain needs a lot of work I will change it. For me it takes about the same amount of time to file a 20" chain as it does to change it. Longer than that and it is quicker to change it out with a fresh ground one. I like semi skip on the longer bars.

Myself, I would not use square ground chain on the landing or cutting any kind of dirty ugly wood on a regular basis. Less stay sharp and the files cost 5x as much.

In my limited hardwood experience, I dont think anyone is too handicaped using round filed chisel in most conditions. But there is a difference.

Production cutting in softwood is where the square ground really shines. And I guess most of the racers use it.

Square filed/ground chain makes sense if you need to cut as much wood as possible in a certain amount of time, and if that wood is clean or at least fairly clean. Or if you are interested in experimenting. Otherwise no.

Question? Any body know when sguare ground chain first came out? I know it had to be before the mid 70s , but I have no idea when.

John

So are you guys saying you can only sharpen a full chisel chain with a square file and that a round file WONT work on full chisel?

chainsawworld......let me know when u are in the area, i am right in the middle of all those places u listed. u are welcome to stop by if i got one of my BBQ's going on!

BostonBull said:
So are you guys saying you can only sharpen a full chisel chain with a square file and that a round file WONT work on full chisel?

No, either one will work. When the saw shop is out of square ground, I get round ground and change it over. One other advantage (and this is just my observation over the last 16 yrs. of square filing) is that the square ground seems to cut smoother, not a smoother finish but less grabby, no jerking.

Andy

I'm getting more and more tempted to try this square filed chisel chain. should turn my 670 into a raped ape.

vman, where are you located in ny? i am in the walker valley area. i was going to tupper this weekend but missed pre-reg. still haven't heard about my boonville app. yet. i will be there either way. doing a bunch in ct. this year also. marty

hi marty, i am in greenville, ny...don't get confused..there are 2 greenville, ny's.....i am in the one just outside of port jervis, about 15 mins from middletown, probably less than 40 mins from your area. if u want, stay in touch, i am only a few mins from otisville, gonna keep 8/27 open to see that competition.
Vinnie.... [email protected]

Latest posts

Back