Ruh Roh! Big Bad Blowdown!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice tree! too bad about that big split, but there is still a lot of nice boards in that thing.

I have had the root wad stand up on me like that before. I had one big spruce that I was salvaging out of the river do that. I cut it off right by the stump, and the stump stood up, with my skiff tied to it... fortunately, it was a long rope, but I almost had to swim to untie it from one of the roots that ended up underwater.

Sorry to be late to the party....but could some of the more experienced folks here give a step-by-step for someone who may have to deal with cutting up a downed tree such as that?

Been a long time since I have heard the word 'crummie'. I was born in '56, and still recall some of the crummies back then. Most that I saw were short versions of a school bus, with their tongue dragging the ground.

I also remember my dad, who used to work for Weyerhaeuser Twin Harbors, working with some REAL blowdown, from the infamous Columbus Day storm, from about 1962 or thereabouts. That's about all we heard at the dinner table for a long time. It wasn't just blowdown. It was also a twisted, tangled mess. They had a few more injuries than usual, but they pretty much had their guard up, and did pretty well. Even so, I believe the aftermath of Mount St. Helens had to be far worse.

A belated "Yikes!"

I could imagine someone's life flashing before his eyes in that picture, and then ending abruptly a moment later. Looks like the saw would have stayed put (generally considered a good thing), but a face could have been rearanged by the jumping log. It seems to me that there may have been a half second warning of a widening kerf before the sudden jump, but maybe not. A five foot thick jumping tree would very likely necessitate a trip to the laundromat to rejuvenate some seriously soiled clothing!

have fun cut wood be safe

Stand Up

We don't have a lot of big trees around here, but a 36" pin oak blew down in a storm a few years ago and the city guys let me cut it up for firewood. When I cut the last chunk off, the root ball fell back in the hole and butt was left as though the tree never fell over. By that point it was not at all dangerous, just amusing.

Mark

Update

Somebody came along and finished the tree up. I still haven't seen the guys who were cutting on it since. The mill has started up again so they must be back at work.

Grant C, you want to check out the tree prior to cutting. Blowdown is notorious for having twists and strange pressures. To be safe, one usually first cuts it off near the rootwad, that way it isn't likely to stand up. The rootwads on these big Doug Firs are huge, and weigh quite a lot. So, can be like playing teeter totter if you don't whack it off near the roots.

Last edited:
Nice Pics! Bet it's a hoot putting a saw in a tree like those!

Novice question: I have a blowdown (much smaller, obviously, but it does have quite a ball) Ossage Orange that I am certain will stand back up at some point in cutting. I have been putting off doing anything with it, pending researching the proper way to handle this. So, you're saying cut it off at the base and let the ball just stand up? BTW - the rest of the tree is laying fairly firmly on the ground.

Thanks,
Shane.

Dang it's good to be back in the Cowlitz Valley. slowp, I'll be out tomorrow after some of that stuff. Think I'm gonna go for the easy get up by the 45 road, since it's what I scouted on my way in tonight. Is there anything good up 52/47?

Dang it's good to be back in the Cowlitz Valley. slowp, I'll be out tomorrow after some of that stuff. Think I'm gonna go for the easy get up by the 45 road, since it's what I scouted on my way in tonight. Is there anything good up 52/47?

I can't say. I have several tags left to fill but need to take a day off from the saw as my right hand woke me up totally numbed out. But my secret yet obvious tree is waiting and I don't know if I dare not cut a load. I haven't been up the 45 road. I've been working at work on clearing the Greenhorn road as it is FS maintenance all the way on the pavement and haven't driven around much anywhere else. I'd say, follow the snow and you'll find something.

Yeah, there's a 16" dinker across the end of the 45 road that's marked, then 2 big 'uns just up past that on 12 (that were on top of the semi when the road was closed) that are about 36" diameter where they've been cut up to so far, and there's a decent amount left. Can't beat right off the highway. Better get after it though...

Latest posts

Back