Saddle Preferences (Leg Loops, Floating Bridges, Butt Straps)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdelaw

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new climbing saddle, but things seem to have really changed since the last time I was climbing. My family has been in the tree business for 50+ years. I worked in the family business for a while after high school and was climbing in a simple weaver canvas saddle using DrT with a fixed tail. As my memory serves me...that saddle was very uncomfortable if you were in a tree for more than an hour or two, and I'm 12 years older now. :msp_angry:

It seems things have changed, or maybe all I was ever used to was the standard split Dees. I've looked at rope bridges and webbing bridges, leg loop saddles, and butt strap saddles. Buckingham Ergovation Economy and Master Deluxe are the saddles that have gotten my attention. I'll only be climbing on the weekends (at least for now) to help my father out. I would like to use a split tail system now and will still be doing DrT. Here are my questions, I hope a few folks on here might be able to help me out.

1. Sherrill Tree offers the Master Deluxe with adjustable waist based on friction adjustment, while Wesspur sells the saddle with a grommetted waist. Does anyone have experience with the friction adjusted saddles? I just wonder if they tend to loosen up at all when you're in the tree.

2. I've never used a leg loop saddle, only butt strap saddles. Someone once told me that they wore a leg loop saddle and they felt like they were being forced backward and had to fight to stay upright. I am thinking they probably just didn't have the leg loops adjusted high enough on their thighs. Anyone have similar experiences with leg loops? I was also looking at a wide back Buckingham economy saddle...it has to be more comfortable than that old weaver I used to have.

3. I've never had a saddle with a floating bridge, but it seems to be all the rage nowadays. The Master Deluxe has webbing loops, while the Ergovation has a floating bridge. Anyone have any serious arguments of one vs the other?

Thanks

Your Opinion or Experience on one of the following saddles

So, I don't think I like the Ergovation saddle because it doesn't seem to have very good support for tools and the tool loops aren't reinforced with tubing. I'm trying to decide between two saddles, both by Buckingham. The Master Deluxe:

Buckingham Deluxe Master Saddle

and the Classic Pinnacle:

http://wesspur.com/images/treegear/sad106-500.gif

There is also the Classic Traverse, but I don't know how I feel about the floating bridge. That one is here:

http://wesspur.com/images/treegear/sad107-500.gif

If you were to pick one of these three saddles, which would you pick? Does anyone have one of these or has had one of these and can give any personal experiences?

Thanks.

Back