Sanvik Wheel Arrived!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumper63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just received the Sandvik wheel for my 252. What a brute! 1-1/4" thick, loaded with 24 teeth, it weighs 83 lbs. Compared to 1/2" thick and 16 tooth Vermeer wheel. Must be almost double the cutting edges versus pro-series teeth. Should cut like a monster. I'm gone for the w/end but will try to get time to install it soon. Will post my results after a few day's use.
Stumper63

Got about 14 hours on the new Sandvik wheel this week, so far so good. Less chip spread, probably 30% faster, deeper cuts, seems to keep up speed in the dirt better, probably due to less pocket rub. Did chip part of the carbide off 4 of the long teeth in a rocky maple stump. New River is going to replace them free. They said they had had a batch of defective teeth a while ago, bad brazing, but thought they had gotten rid of them. So not sure if it was defective teeth or just rocky conditions. I admit I was disappointed because everyone claims how tough these teeth are, and rocks just dulled the ProSeries teeth from Vermeer, rarely broke off the carbide.

Sandvik wheel is 30 lbs heavier than Vermeer's, so we'll see how the electric clutch holds up. My machine has 2200 hours, replaced the clutch about 1000 hours ago, so maybe due for one anyway. You can hear the difference on engagement, not bad, but you can tell it's working a bit harder to get the 85 lb monster spinning.
I was up for buying a lot of new teeth anyway, so I am glad for the investment. Cost was $1166, shipping was $116 of that. They include a starter tooth kit, 10 shorts, 6 longs, 2 pockets, 2 rock-buster teeth (maybe should have used them on that maple stump, but admit I wanted to see how tough the teeth were). I replaced the cutter wheel shaft and bearings at the same time, took about 3 hours to install.
Teeth are $10.30 each, so will be looking into re-tipping when they can't be sharpened anymore. The other teeth that didn't break seem pretty sharp still, except a couple of shorts on edge of wheel, which the rocks of that maple stump dulled just a little.

Stumper63

Strange thing, engine seems to recover faster with this heavier wheel after getting a bit bogged down in the dirt (I have auto-sleep feature disabled), must be less pocket rub again, because wheel is much heavier.

assume you are not engaging cutter wheel as before, I flick my 2010 carlton in and out at 2/3 revs until it picks up. compared to 700 greenteeth am finding the sandvik lasting 3 to 4 times longer. When dull in 2010 I put them on 8018 ! I should add that I include turning the greenteeth 3 times,so, really the sandvik are lasting at least 9+ times longer !!!! I put it down to the extra power provided by the cutter wheel ?

I have always had engine at idle before engaging electric cutter wheel clutch, never any higher. It doesn't seem to take any longer to bring engine to ful rpm even with heavier wheel.
Your 2010 has a manual engine slide for engagement, like the other Carlton's, doesn't it? Are you able to engage it above idle?

Good to hear your positive experience with the teeth, will probably keep the little 252 in the stable a bit longer.
Stumper63

If you are in rock they make a special tooth for that. I've never run them but I believe you put a couple in the outside positions. I've seen them and they have really thick carbide - look more like a trenching bit than a cutter.

No the 2010 is the narrow version of the 2000 and has electromag clutch as 252.It seems to put less strain on clutch starting it at higher revs ? Slightly bigger wheel than yours with 30 teeth and 27hp. Now waiting for sandvik wheel for my new carlton 4012, it was demo machine fitted standard wheel, Im running it on 900 green teeth for now !

Back