Saving rotting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year I have ben burning wood that has Bean down in a swamp fore 7 years. still makes good heat although it is really dirty.

that wood looks good , and the tractor looks great ! if I had one of those I would never come in the house again
Mick D

sorry, i missed the question about the tractor on my last reply.

its a mf1532 (32hp diesel) it has done ok, but it does struggle with the big logs. i expected that when i decided on this one. the loader is only rated for ~1300 lbs but is all that i could get with this size. the next size up has about the same power (33 hp) but slightly bigger frame and its loader is rated for ~1900lbs. but it cost $4k more, so i cheaped out! the most useful part so far has been the backhoe with a thumb! it will pick up pretty good sized logs, but dont know what its rated for. i have been shamefully slow to modify it. i really need to add some hooks to the bucket and a better ROPS.

i am still trying to come up with a good way to process the wood and handle it the least amount of times. what i really need is a farmi winch for it, but can't afford to buy one and havent found any local to rent/borrow.

thanks
shawn

I agree that wood looks fine from NE Pa. I guess the most relevant question would be what are you going to throw it in ? An OWB like I have has digested stuff most guys have thrown away, its just ridiculous what it will burn. A woodstove will probably be less forgiving. If you posted what kind sorry.. my eyes and memory aint what they used to be.

:monkey:

That's good looking wood, good size and not too many knots. As for getting the logs off your hill, you could try a skidding cone and some strong rope, a pully or two and a chain to attach to the log. You could then pull with the tractor in what ever direction you can go. I don't have a cone so I just "sharpen" up a log with the chainsaw if I think its going to snag.
Ian

thanks for the compliment on the tractor. i can justify buying anything if i try! :)

here are a couple more pics of the logs that i have out and of the mess that i still have to work. any help on id'ing the trees would be great. still not sure how long it will last...

thanks
shawn

Chain a Choker to that "MASSEY" and pullem up that hill like a YARDER. Wood looks very good. Here's a thought, ever think about MILLING it?Looks like Oak or Hickory to me!!

wood looks nice and seasoned. like mentioned earlier i would set up a block and pully with a chain n strong rope and yard em out. cake.

my stove is an old vermont castings (1980) defiant. i also have a couple open fireplaces that get occasional use.

i have thought about milling the wood. i have an 066 red-eye that would be up to the task, but i'm not sure what i would do with it then. at some point i would like to do a couple projects that i could use a couple pieces for, but not any significant amounts for all the wood i have.

the skidding problem is a complex one. the trees that are down are on my land, but it is really steep and rocky and not accessible from the top. (look at the last pic i posted) before the tractor, i had been using the winch on the front of the jeep to winch logs up the hill using a snatch block attached to a tree ~10' off the ground. it was really slow and only would work for a couple of the trees. there is a 10' rock ledge at the top that greatly complicates things. enter the tractor! the new plan is to log from the bottom (MUCH easier to pull logs downhill) to do so, i have to use the old logging road on my neighbors property to get most of the way down, then had to cut my own road for the remaining part. (also on neighbors property) so now i have access to the bottom corner of the property. but it is still too steep to drive on, so i am planning on winching (or just pulling long lengths of cable with tractor) all the logs to the corner, then skidding them out. (the dealer that i bought the tractor from has an uncle that has a farmi winch that i may be able to borrow/rent.) my neighbor has been good about this, i told him what i was gonna do and he didnt care (he doesnt actually live on the property, but visits occasionally) but i am trying to minimize the impacts to his property and dont want to actually drag the logs all the way up the road b/c it will really tear it up. so i just bought wagon running gear that i think will work pretty well. its only 6' wide (outside tires) and ~8' wheelbase. it is just a really big project and its tough to know what the 'best' approach is!

thanks
shawn

Line up the logs to pull through existing openings, use your snatch block idea on the downhill side to keep the logs pulling straight, and pull them to the road with your tractor or jeep. Pulling is much faster than using a winch. Also, if you find that the logs are digging into the ground too much because of the downward pull you can consider buying a logging cone.

Once you have a load by the road you can cut them up and load them into your trailer.

Except for walking uphill to secure each log before pulling it out, that should keep you operating on flat terrain.

There is an "ATV log hauler" thread on this forum that contains pictures of a side winch on a trailer. It is used to pull the logs onto the trailer from the side - it may be worth fabbing something up to save your back.

HTH

cjcocn,
thats a good point about it being faster than a winch. i may have to give it a try. everything i have read about the skidding cone says it is a good idea, but i still think that i should be able to come up with something for less than $150. but in reality, i should probably just bite the bullet and buy one. the rocks make it very necessary.

i have also been following the ATV hauler thread and noticed the side loading winch idea. i may try to use that.

thanks
shawn

Back